💔 Two Months (Paul) 💔

It had been two months since you and Paul broke up. Consequentially, it had also been the absolute worst two months of your entire life. Nothing was more agonizing, more empty, more atrocious that those eight and a half weeks. Nothing.

You were out to get some coffee. It was the first time you had visited that cafe since the break up, for it reminded you too much of Paul. But, you needed to move on. Avoiding places that made you think of him wasn't the way to do that.

You glanced at the mostly empty tables as the barista prepared your drink.

Involuntarily, your eyes landed on the little yellow table in the corner. The one you and Paul used to sit at, because it provided the best view. As you stared, you could hear his laugh. See him smiling at some stupid joke he had made as he waited for you to get it. Imagine him sipping his coffee again, which always had too much sugar and too little ice.

Your chest gave a squeeze and your eyes started to sting. Still, it took everything you had to tear your gaze away when the lady behind the counter spoke to you.

"Here you go," she said. She slid the drink to you, the ice clinking together as the light fluid formed tiny waves.

You smiled and handed the money to her.

"Thank you," you said as she handed you your change.

You turned around, then stopped at once. Luckily, there was no line behind you. Well, there was one person. One stunning, smirking, tall person with long blonde hair and piercing blue eyes.

"Paul," you breathed. Well, sort of. It was more like every last bit of air had been knocked from your lungs. It left with a lame whoosh.

He smiled. That in itself sent a different kind of pain straight to your heart.

"Hello, y/n," he said.

You examined him. His hair was pretty much the same, and his height hadn't changed, but that was about it. The differences surprised you.

His eyes, so deep and beautiful, were sparkling. His lips never left the curved smile they wore, and he had a different earring in. He stood straighter. The entire aura around him was full of positivity. Your brain and body wanted to cling to it, to absorb every bit of joy you could. Your heart disagreed.

"You look good," you muttered.

Good didn't come close to covering it. Even beautiful and gorgeous seemed like vast understatements. He was stunning. Mesmerizing. Your mind ran over a hundred different words, none of which seemed to fit just right.

Paul's grin widened. "As do you."

You resisted the urge to snort. At that moment, you were sporting your glamorous two-sizes-too-big grey sweatpants and a giant sweater. Your hair, which you hadn't brushed for the day, was thrown into a careless braid behind your head. Your eyes rested on dark shadows that resulted from getting little to no sleep nearly every single night for the last two months.

"Thanks," you said.

Another girl came in then. She was gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. Her skin, hair, and eyes were all dark. She wore a pink dress under a denim jacket with heels that added maybe three inches to her height. She was grinning.

You didn't make the connection until she walked over to Paul and wrapped an arm around his waist. He kissed her head before looking back at you.

"Y/n, this is Zoe. She's my fiancee," Paul informed you.

Your stomach twisted and your heart dropped. It was impossible for you to smile the way Zoe was grinning at you.

"I'm sorry," you said, not caring about being rude. You glanced at the glass door that revealed what felt like a whole new world. Your eyes focused on a little girl as she walked past. "I need to go."

You walked out without another word, managing to make it to the sidewalk before the tears began.