💖 Son (Paul) 💖

You sighed as you checked the clock. Again. The babysitter was supposed to be here twenty minutes ago, and Paul would arrive any minute for your date night.

Your son, Ethan looked at you with a frown.

"Are you okay, mommy?" He asked.

You nodded. "Of course, honey."

You moved a strand of his long hair- he had insisted on a bowl cut-like haircut, and you were surprised when it looked good on him- behind his ear.

"What's wrong? You look upset," he said.

Though he was only six, he was really good at reading people and always took notice of his surroundings. It was an oddly strange gift.

You were stressing out because your son had never met Paul. The two of you had been dating for four months, but you were worried about introducing the two. Paul knew about him, of course, and said he couldn't wait to meet him. Still, it concerned you.

"I'm fine, sweetie. Just waiting for Angela."

Angela. The babysitter that was almost half an hour late. The woman that would probably be the reason Paul met your son tonight.

You weren't pleased with her.

A knock on the door almost startled you.

'Please be Angela, please be Angela,' you thought over and over as you rushed to the door.

It was not Angela.

"Wow, don't look so happy to see me," Paul teased.

You smiled. "I'm sorry. I was hoping you were the babysitter."

He furrowed his eyebrows.

"She isn't here yet?" He asked.

You shook your head. "No. So, if you want to come in..."

You stepped aside and let Paul in. Ethan, who sat on the couch watching Looney Tunes, grinned.

"Hi!" He exclaimed. He fixed his overalls- it seemed one side was always slipping off his shoulder- and straightened out the red shirt he wore underneath.

"Hi, little buddy. How's your day going?" Paul asked. He moved over and sat next to Ethan, smiling.

"Good! I'm watching Looney Tunes," Ethan pointed at the TV.

Paul grinned, glancing at the cartoon. "I used to love this show. Who's your favorite character?"

Ethan didn't even have to think about it. "Oh, definitely Tweety. Who's yours?"

Paul chuckled.

"I always liked Daffy the best. But Tweety's cool, too."

He looked over at you, his bright blue eyes turning up as he smiled. You smiled back, happy they seemed to be getting along.

Paul's gaze shifted to a drawing of a dinosaur Ethan had made. It sat on the coffee table, still half-colored.

"Hey, did you draw this?" Paul asked.

Ethan looked at it, then nodded. "Yeah. I like dinosaurs."

Paul examined the drawing.

"This is so cool, Ethan. I love dinosaurs, too," Paul said.

Ethan grinned. "Okay. When I finish coloring it, it'll be for you. You can keep it."

Paul beamed. "Really?" As if he couldn't believe his luck.

Ethan nodded.

"Really," he confirmed.

The doorbell rang. That was Angela.

You let her in. She was profusely apologizing for being late- car trouble- but it didn't matter anymore. Angela took Paul's seat by Ethan and, after saying a quick bye to your son, you and Paul left.

"He's absolutely adorable," Paul told you.

You smiled. "I'm glad you like him."

Paul nodded and kissed your forehead. "Of course I like him. I mean, he will be my step son one day."

The thought made you grin- a smile that hardly left for the rest of the night.