💔 Waiting Up (Dwayne) 💔

"Mommy, what if dad gets hurt?"

You looked at your daughter with a warm smile. Carefully, you brushed a strand of her dark hair away from her face and looked into her dark eyes. She looked just like her father.

"He'll be okay, Jenna," you replied.

And you knew it was true. Dwayne had gone out with the other guys to hunt. Normally, this was no big deal. However, it was the first time someone (who may or may not have been Paul, and may or may not have gotten some harsh words from you) had let slip what was going on. See, Jenna was only seven. You didn't quite want her knowing all the truths behind her father leaving at night. And, to make matters worse, they were going for the adrenaline rush. Take out their threat. Hunt the hunters.

"But what if he's not?" Jenna whined, tears forming in her brown eyes. She hardly ever cried. Even when she was a baby, she was never one to fuss too much. Your sister, who had six children, was always envious of that fact and constantly prattled on about it. You just assumed Jenna was advanced. And, when she turned three and was already reading stop signs and store names, you knew you were right.

You pulled her into your lap and she curled up, leaning against your chest.

"He's going to be okay, honey. He always has been before, right?" You pointed out.

She nodded. "Yeah, but..."

You frowned.

"He knows what he's doing, sweetheart. I promise."

She stayed quiet for a minute, then leaned forward and twisted to look at you.

"Does dad and his friends only kill bad people? You know, like killers and stuff?" She asked.

You didn't bother pointing out her grammatical error. Maybe at a different time, but not now. She was too distressed.

"Yes, honey. Only the bad people," you told her. Though it wasn't quite the truth. They tried, but accidents happen.

"So he's going to be okay? Really, truly?" Jenna asked.

You nodded. "Yes."

She smiled, leaning against you again. "Okay, mommy."

It was less than five minutes later that Paul came in. His icy eyes were wide and there was still dark blood coloring maroon stripes on his face.

"Paul," you sighed. You hated when they showed up around your daughter with any blood on them, though she never showed that it bothered her.

"Listen, y/n, something happened," he told you.

You raised an eyebrow, your heart dropping. "What?"

He glanced at Jenna.

You looked down at her, and that time your smile was forced. "Honey, can you go to your room for a minute?"

She nodded and hopped down, walking away. You looked back at Paul.

"What the hell happened?" You demanded.

"David's hurt, but that isn't the worst of it. Dwayne, um... Dwayne is dead."

You flew to your feet. "What!?"

You heard Jenna gasp and jump out from behind the corner. Her eyes were wide and glistening with tears.

"Dad's dead?" She demanded. Then the tears started rolling down her cheeks.

"Jenna, honey," Paul sighed.

You tried holding yourself together. As you approached your daughter and Paul, you could feel the drops leaving your eyes.

"You said he would be okay, mommy! You lied to me!" Jenna exclaimed.

"Sweetheart, listen..." You tried. But what could you say? Nothing would fix what happened.

"No! You lied!"

She turned to Paul then, growing more hysterical by the second. "She lied to me."

He opened his arms. She wrapped her little arms around him, crying for a few minutes before he looked at her again.

"Come talk with me," Paul told her. She nodded and the two of them left the room.

You were alone then, wondering how the hell you were going to pick up the pieces of your life without Dwayne.