Heartless and Heartaches

The one thing that Marvin found out he was good at was lying through his teeth, or at least spilling out white lies. Yes, Jameson did deal with Robbie for only the evening, but it wasn't as stressful as how Marvin claimed it to be. He knew that the zombie only ran away twice when the dapper's eyes weren't on him and soon came back. Yeah, it was genuine that Marvin doesn't want Chase to deal with Robbie while he's incapacitated, but at the same time, the magician doesn't want to part with the zombie anytime soon. Not after last evening. Maybe he should take Robbie to Chase's after his recovery. But what would he do after his recovery? Doing the same things all over again? Once he asked Chase's intention for his nightly bar visits, and witnessed his reactions to it, Marvin had regretted asking or using that tone. But that got him to put two and two together.

Chase has a death wish.

Peeking through the door's peephole, the magician can see Jackaboy helping Chase get onto the hero's back, having his arms wrapped around the hero's neck while Jackie held onto Chase with one hand and the crutches with the other before flying off.

Marvin had woken up early once again due to Robbie, but the magician doesn't mind, especially the event that unfolded last night back in the alley.

Usually, people get offended and lashes out after hearing someone taking badly about them. But nope, not Robbie. What he did was the opposite and crawled back to Marvin after his outburst to give him consolation.

Did the zombie actually able to comprehend the words, but didn't take offense to it, or maybe he couldn't comprehend the words, but understood the emotional pain behind them. Or maybe he's just emulating Jameson by not lashing out, but by comfort, not taking the words personally.

Whatever the reason was, Marvin regretted every single bit of it. He feels like he doesn't deserve the comfort, he doesn't deserve the forgiveness, but the two gave it to him anyway.

Heading towards the kitchen, the magician opened the fridge and scour around for breakfast. The fridge was partially empty, reminding him to buy groceries. All that's left were milk, two cans of tuna, half a dozen eggs, and a bag of baby carrots.

Taking out the tuna, Marvin grabbed bread from the counter and made himself a tuna sandwich. Sitting on the counter, the magician found Robbie sitting in the corner, munching on some granola bars that he had given him unwrapped with a Septiceye Sam plush next to him. At least he's chewing on some food this time and not inedible objects.

A moment later, Marvin could hear a car parking and door slamming. Henrik must've overworked himself over night again.

The front door was closed as soon it was opened and Henrik stepped into the kitchen with bags under his eyes and with a slightly slouched posture. He then found his brother sitting on the counter and the zombie sitting on the corner. "You know zhere's a chair right over zhere." He pointed to the table with two seats in the middle of the kitchen. "And vhy is Robbie eating off zhe floor?"

"He tried eating the plate." Marvin said nonchalantly with a mouth full of tuna before swallowing.

"And you can't teach him how to act like a civilized human? Or at least... decent?"

"Hey!" Marvin jumped off the counter. "Don't talk about him like that!"

The doctor let out exhausted breath before slugging past the magician to make himself a cup of coffee.