Marvelin a Dream Catcher

"Cry out loud and take the stage, and don't let skeptics slow your pace. With every forward step you take their breath away, their breath away! Believe, believe they'll spit their words and some will say, it seems absurd, but devour the cynics, dismiss the critics, and mark my words they'll regret it when you cast your nets."
Dream Catcher- Set it Off

***************

"Five minutes, Marvin." His new co-worker called out softly. Her heels stepped onto the wooden stage. "You're gonna do great." She gave him a thumbs up before stepping off.

"Thank you, Jan." The magician said as he stare down at the red table cloth with a hollow hole in the middle. Laying flat on the middle of the table was his cat mask, staring back at him. It's empty cut-out holes piercing through his blue orbs. "Well Mr. Fluffington. Let's show the kids what we got."

Down on one knee, he lifted the table cloth and poked his hands in to grab a shoe box that was provided for him. Opening the box, he found an assortment of magic items you would find in a beginners magic set: Playing cards, mini balls, plastic cups, a fake magic wand, chains, some dices, instruction booklet, et-cetera.

Marvin scoffed. "Cheap parlor tricks." He mumbled to himself as he closed back the lid, dismissing it. Taking out his wand from his back pocket under his black cape, Marvin caressed it in his hands. He knew it had got him fired from his last job, but he's had weeks worth of practice. Time to show them what he's capable of. But before his stubbornness takes hold, his mind recollected on that evening back at the carnival...

What started out as a spark, ends up shooting a delayed blast towards a table that almost engulfed the stage in flames. Luckily no one got hurt... right?

'What if my magic goes haywire again?' He remember there were more kids out there than adults. He can't be too prideful. What if everything goes wrong and he winds up injuring his audiences? It would suck to get fired on the first day.

Tucking his wand back into his pocket, the magician's heart plummeted as he reopens the lid to grab the fake wand and setting everything up.

'Hope I know how to improvise.' Apparently, his creator didn't give him that skill and instead gave that to another ego performer.

Taking the instruction book in envy, the magician tried reading through it in the last four minutes he has before showtime.

Until he felt a hand pat him on the shoulder from behind.

****

Out in the audience were rows of tables set up with plates, drinks, balloons and snacks. Party guests were sat down after two hours of playtime in the arcade and catching up, munching on their plate of pizzas. Some of the co-workers were sat in the back row after passing out food and drinks to the attendees.

"I bet he's an illusionists." Sandra said as Trey sat between her and Chase. " Like come, on, magic isn't real."

"Nah, I've seen him preform real magic." Chase defends.

"Dude, I know you drink, but I didn't know you like to get high too." Trey joked.

Chase punched him on the arm. 'Fuck off, man.' He mouthed so the kids couldn't hear him.

At the table in front of them sat Grayson and Samantha, laughing and playing with a classmate they found who was invited to the party.

Facing the stage with the red velvet curtains closed up, Chase could see Jan stepping to the middle holding up a microphone. "Alright kids and parents!" She announced. "Welcome one and all! Is everyone having a fun time?!"