Runnin' From My Heart

A few minutes in the boss's office felt like an hour to anyone who was called in for questioning. Marvin is no stranger to any of this considering his past experiences with being discharged from his prior occupation.

"So..." the magician said awkwardly, shifting his foot on the office floor, his mask being lifted up to his forehead. "How much did you see?"

"Not much... besides the fallen stage light and your own brother pushing you off the stage. How did this happen? You could've seriously injure somebody!" The boss give him a skeptic look before averting her eyes on Chase, who had stepped into her office afterwards.

"My apologies, I'm aware of my wand's malfunction--"

"Don't." Chase spoke, stopping the magician. "Please, don't blame Marvin for this. I was the one who accidentally activated his wand."

"No, I shouldn't have taken it out in the first place."

"But I was the one who convinced you and taken your wand."

The boss cleared her throat before the two can continue. " I appreciate your integrity, you two. But who's going to pay for the broken stage lights?"

Before Chase can volunteer, Marvin called out. "I'll pay for the damages."

"Well, McLoughlin, you did preform a grander job yesterday and I was anticipating your next performances. Taken your resume and experiences, I can see that you take pride in your work and you've shown it all yesterday."

The fact that she never knew about the incident at the carnival was a miracle and the fact that he got hired in a span of a few days, yet he has Chase to thank for that one.

"As for you, Brody," She continued. "I appreciate your contribution to the team, but despite your recovery from the past week-- which I had let it slide-- you have been constantly tardy and had taken a lot of days off during the last few months. I don't know if you have another job that you alternate to, but I don't tolerate any of that here or any workplace without notifying in advance. "

"Fair enough. I understand. I was about to resign anyway." He said, turning on his heels and stepped out the door. "Apparently there's no such thing as 'are you okay' around here." He mumbled the last part under his breath, very silently to himself, but Marvin caught it before he completely existed.

"Wait, Brody!" She called out, but he was already heading towards the staff lockers, she then mutters. "How dare he abruptly exits my office without giving me a chance to respond." She then highers her voice to Marvin. " You both get a warning, but next incident like this and you're out."

"Thank you, ma'am." He breath out, releasing the tension that was building inside him.

"He usually begs, thinking I'll fire him instead of hearing him out." She laughs. "That Sandra has a mouth on her. Don't let her get under your skin, like your brother does."

'I like this new boss of mine.' "Thanks for the heads up... I guess. I'll go talk to him." And with that, he turned around and exit the office, closing the door behind him.

Meanwhile in the corner where the staff lockers were, Chase grabbed a label maker from the top of the stacked, squared, lockers and started typing. Putting in the combination to the pad lock, he yanked it off of his locker and gather his things before closing it, putting the lock back on.