Chapter 5 - Weekend with mom

Amanda James

I woke up on Saturday morning feeling blessed that it is finally Saturday, I can finally take a moment to breathe not thinking about anything from school. Mom is also off working, well she should be off working for the weekend though she has worked a lot for the whole week.

I stay on my bed, stretching my body a little bit. I look at the window and I can hear neighbors are already filling the street. This is how it feels to live in my neighborhood, the neighbors are very friendly to one another. They really like weekend, they like to walk their dogs, jogging and a do lot of stuff.

I got up from my bed then make my way into the dining room. My stomach is groaning for food, and just like what I expected my mom is cooking at the kitchen. I can smell the nice food that she cooks once I step down the stairs.

"Morning Sleepyhead," she said while frying bacon on a pan.

"Morning," I said.

"Anyway, what's that plant over there?" Mom pointed at the haven't bloom sunflowers.

"It's a sunflower for my science project," I said.

"What are you going to do with those things?" She asked.

"I'm going to put one under the sun and the other without a sun," I said to her and she looks not sure.

"I know right, it's too basic," I nodded.

"I thought you would invent something more complicated than that," my mom said.

"Yea it wasn't my idea, it is a group project and my friend suggested that," she said.

"I just need more time to think about what project that we actually have to make," I said to mom.

"Well.., keep planting those while thinking about another better one," she said.

"You're right, this is a big opportunity to get us into a scholarship program," I said to her then she raised her brows.

"Anyway, how's work?" I asked her.

"Always so hectic," she sighs.

"What are you going to do today?" She asked me while putting the bacon on our plates then turn off the stove.

"Going out with Audrey?" She asked.

"I actually have nothing to do today," I said.

"Me too, my friends are busy with their family," she said before started to sit in front of me.

"Let's go shopping," she said.

"I'll never say no to that," I said which makes her laugh.

I know that my mom is an independent woman, but I also know that she loves to hang out with her friends so much. But does she ever think about going on a date with another man? I mean maybe she needs someone especially a man to love her? Or she doesn't need one?

"Mom," I asked her.

"Yes," she said.

"Have you ever think about going on a date?" I asked her.

She looks up at me then smile, even she let out a small laugh while messing with her food with a fork.

"It's not my era to date someone anymore," she said.

"It's yours," she said.

"How about you? Are you dating someone right now?" She asked.

"No, I'm not," I said.