Chapter 46: Mew

I am driving back to the city feeling defeated. There was no way I can get to him. He clearly wants space. There is no indication that he will change his mind anytime. I sighed. I am spent and tired. I gave my all to get him back but nada. He is determined to push me away. The only good thing coming off from this is I don't have regrets. I know I made mistakes before but the amount of effort I put to get him back surely counts fo something. I need to rest my mind. My heart needs to revamp afterall the beating it experienced. Maybe now's not the time. Maybe if I can give him a few more years, we can look at each other without all the past lurking in front of us. Maybe all we need is time. Another three years Mew? You think you can wait that long again?

I arrived at my place and slept with nothing on my mind. Surprisingly, it's the most peaceful sleep I had in three years. I woke up the next day feeling refreshed and renewed. It's not yet a happy place but I think I can add more purpose in my life other that obsessing about Gulf. I can focus on my investigation for now for a change.

My phone rang, I looked at the caller ID, Gulf. I sighed, it's too early for another beating.

"Yes, Gulf."

"Mew, Jag and I are going to the city. We overlooked something. I think I need to talk to my mother about it. I'll let you know if I find out anything crucial to the investigation."

That's great news Gulf, "Okay."

"You're a little off, are you good?"

No Gulf, have you forgotten what happened this last few days? "Of course. I'm good."

"Well, okay. Will text you for updates. I'm driving."

I put the phone down. I'm still in bed lazy to get up. I looked at the ceiling and dreaming about a vacation. Somewhere where I don't need to think about anything. I deserve it. Well, maybe I can have a vacation, nobody's stopping me anyway and I can always bring my papers to continue with the investigation. Feeling like this could help ease me, I called my secretary before I change my mind. "Hey, Malee."

"Yes Attorney Bennett?"

"I'd like you to clear my schedule indefinitely. I'll go to the office now to wrap up some things then I'll be on leave starting tomorrow."

"Do you need me to book a ticket?"

"No need."

"Okay attorney." She hung up the phone.

———————————-

I am still in the office at around 4 in the afternoon talking to Malee about what needs to be done while I'm away when my phone rang.

Gulf again. "Yes, Gulf."

"Hey, are you in your office?"

"Yes."

"I need to talk to you about my conversation with my mother. Can I drop by?"

"What time?"

"How about now?"

"Okay."

"Hey?"

"Yes Gulf?"

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes I am." I'm tired Gulf.