Chapter 38

The next morning Asia woke up and felt for Jamal but he wasn't there. She opened her eyes and sat up and looks around the room.

"Jamal?", she called out.

The house was silent.

Asia got out of the bed and walked out the room. "Jamal?", she said looking in Kim's room but nobody was there. She walked into the living room and into the kitchen. Suddenly she hears the door open and she grabs a knife. She walks out the kitchen and it's Jamal.

"Oh", she said.

Jamal looks at the knife. "You good?", he asked.

"Yea", she said. "I was just about to cook"

"Oh okay", he said.

"Where were you?", she asked.

"Dropped Kim off at practice. They have a dance off coming up", he said.

"Oh wow, that's good", she said.

"Yea", he said as she sat on the couch. "Put that down and come sit down"

Asia put the knife down and walked to him and sat next to him.

"You okay?", he asked.

"Yea", she said. "Why?"

"Because you weren't going to cook anything. I don't even have anything to cook", he said.

Asia was quiet.

"Asia you know you're safe with me right?", he said.

Asia sigh. "...You don't understand"

"How? You're being threatened of course I understand that", he said.

"No.. you don't understand I'm going through like PTSD right now. I'm trying my best to keep myself together and act normal but I can't", she said. "I don't wanna go through almost dying, getting raped, etc. again"

Jamal was silent.

"I might have told you the basics of things but you don't understand what happened in detail", Asia said.

"I know one thing though. I put this on my life.. I'll try my hardest to protect you", he said.

Asia sighed.

Jamal kisses her forehead.

Asia lays down and puts her head in his lap.

——————————-

The next day Asia and Vanessa went to grab a bite to lunch.

"I'm glad you agreed to hang out today", Vanessa said. "I thought Jamal would get you to back out"

"Of course", Asia said. "But why would he do that?"

"Cause Jamal is Jamal, you know how he is", Vanessa said.

"Yea, overthinker", Asia said.

"Exactly", Vanessa said with a chuckle.

"But um enough about Jamal. How are you enjoying Miami?", Asia asked.

"It's pretty bigger than what I'm used to but I like it. Has a lot going on but I like it", Vanessa said. "But how about you Kim said you danced"

"Yes. In middle school and in high school", Asia said.

"Me too", Vanessa said. "Why'd you stop?"

"..family problems", Asia said.

Vanessa nods. "So.. do you have children?", she asked. "Cause it seems that you do great with Kim"