Chapter 58

The next morning Asia woke up early and made breakfast for everybody. Nicole and Kim were already done stairs eating before Jamal came down.

"I knew I smelt bacon", Jamal said as he fixed his tie. "You got up early. Did you sleep good?"

"Lets just day I got enough", Asia said as she gave Jamal his plate.

Jamal kisses her forehead.

Asia smiles slightly then stops when he walks to the table.

Jamal sits down and looks at Nicole's plate. "How come you got strawberries too?", he asked.

"Because early bird gets the worm. It was the last ones", Nicole said.

"Damn", he said.

Nicole chuckles.

"But Jamal are you taking the kids to school?", asia asked. "I'm going to go see Raelynn"

"Yea", he said. "You ain't going to eat?"

"I did", Asia said.

"Okay", he said.

"Have a good day at school girls", asia said.

"Okay", Kim said.

Asia grabbed her purse and left.

"Daddy I'm done", Kim said.

"Okay. I'll put your plate up. Go upstairs and make sure you have everything for school", Jamal said.

Kim leaves the kitchen and goes upstairs.

"I guess you should be getting your stuff together too before we are late", Jamal said.

"I do", Nicole said

Jamal nods.

"So...I heard you and my mom arguing last night", Nicole said.

"And not to be rude, but that was not any of your business Nic", Jamal said as he was eating.

"Yea it's grown folk business, whatever", Nicole said as she got up. "But whatever you guys were arguing about, it seems like you handled it. I don't have to talk to my father after all"

"...you know you'll have to see him in a couple of weeks", Jamal said. "Thanksgiving is coming up"

"And I'll be at the hotel with you, mom and Kim... I'm not staying in that house", Nicole said.  "And unfortunately you can't make me"

"Yea but he and your mom can", Jamal said. "I mean really, you know what's its like to grow up without a dad around. Not having that father figure...Nicole it seems to me that you missed him all your life but now that he's back you wanna shun him out your life because he said something to you that was probably true and that needed to be said?"

"You don't understand", Nicole said.

"I understand that although the was gone for all those years.. he's back and he's trying. You can't say that about some people. If he didn't love you guys ... he would've never came back", Jamal said.

"....you and uncle B think y'all know everything huh", Nicole said as she walked out the kitchen.

Jamal shakes his head.