Chapter 56

Jamal went up to the NICU to see the baby that night.

"She is doing great. She's a real trooper", the nurse said.

Jamal looked at the baby. "She's so... so small", Jamal said. "Like the size of my hand"

The nurse nods. "Yes, that is normal for how early she was born", the nurse said.

"Can I hold her?", He asked.

"Not at the moment, but maybe in the next month", the nurse said. "Is this your first child?"

"Second, I have a 10 year old so it's been a while", Jamal said.

The nurse nods.

Jamal looks at her. "So.. how often can I come see her?", he asked.

"As often as you would like too", the nurse said with a smile.

"How long will she have to stay?", Jamal asked.

"It depends on how well she develops. The sooner I know, the sooner I'll let you and/or her mother know", she said.

Jamal nods.

"But I'm sure baby Carter will be ready to get home before you know", she said.

"That's right... her name", Jamal said. "Her mom didn't name her yet did she?"

"Not that I know of", the nurse said.

Jamal nods.

"If you need me, let me know", the nurse said.

"Okay", Jamal said as he looked at the baby.

———————————————

The next day Jamal, Nicole and Kim came to visit Asia.

"So how are you?", he asked.

"Good. Much better than yesterday", Asia said with a smile.

Jamal rubs Asia's hand with his thumb.

"Have you seen the baby yet?", asia asked.

"Just last night... she's so small", Jamal said. "The nurse said that she's a trooper"

Asia smiles and nods. "I haven't even seen her yet", she said with sadness in her voice. "But how about you? How are you? You seem like somebody is on your mind?", she asked while switching her tone to a more pleasant one.

Jamal looks down.

Asia stops smiling. "What?", she asked.

Jamal looks at Nicole and Kim and they have headphones in. "Yesterday... you said you were done.,. What did you mean by that?", Jamal asked.

"I was just talking", asia said.

"Just talking? Asia it didn't sound like you were just talking", Jamal said.

"Jamal I'm good", Asia said.

Jamal shakes his head. "You mean like the same way you told me that you didn't see me any different? But you did?", Jamal said.

Asia shakes her head and rolls her eyes.

"I mean like... what? We aren't sharing thoughts with each other anymore?", Jamal said.

"You're the one to talk", Asia said.

"Yet I opened up eventually", Jamal said. "You been dealing with something serious and you didn't even think to tell me?"

"Why? So you wouldn't have asked me out or gotten to know me?", Asia said. "Yea I'm dealing with depression, but guess what I'm dealt with it. I've gotten better"