chapter six

"We can watch a movie tomorrow, Mami. I'm really tired, I'd rather just go to bed." Camila told her mother, who was insisting on a movie night after we finished dinner.

"Alright, mija. No getting out of it though." Sinu spoke with authority, pointing at her daughter.

Camila laughed as she led me up to her room. "That woman will be the death of me." She chuckled. "I wanna show you something though." Once inside Camila's bedroom, still decorated as if she were a teenager, I was led to her window. Camila struggled but eventually pushed it open, climbing onto the roof. "Come on."

I followed her through, sitting carefully on the roof that was slightly slanted below. "Wow." I looked out, taking in the sight of the moon, bright in the sky. The ocean could be seen, shining off in the distance. "This is beautiful."

"I know right. I used to come up here a lot." Camila sat on her legs, smiling softly at the sky. "I wrote one of my first songs up here." She confessed. "Back when I was fifteen and confused."

"Sing it to me." I said to her, looking at her as the moonlight shone on her skin.

Camila sighed softly, looking at me with a smile. "I'll sing the chorus. Don't judge it." She licked her lips and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath before she began singing.

I only told the moon, tonight up on the roof
I told her that I'm scared that all my thoughts they look like you
I only told the moon, about the way you move
I asked her to please tell me if you tell things to her too

"Why would I judge that? It's beautiful. I don't even want to think about the first song I wrote." I joked, causing a blushing Camila to laugh as well. "I'm serious. I blocked it out."

"Well sing me something you do remember. Like, the earliest song you have." She looked at me expectantly. "Come on. It's only fair."

"Before I do that, tell me this. How did you write something so beautiful at fifteen?" I asked her, genuinely curious as to where she was at, at that age.

"Well," Camila took a deep breath. "Like I said, I was confused. I had never had real feelings for someone. And then Lauren and I became close. Really close." I clenched my jaw at the mention of the raven haired girl but stayed quiet so I could hear the story. Even though I wasn't sure if I wanted to now. "I was out here one night, looking at the moon. And I finally admitted my feelings for her. To the moon. And that's where the idea came from. My favorite lines from the song are 'I'll wait for the moon to lean in close and say that she only told the moon, tonight up on the roof. She told me that she's scared that all her thoughts they look like you'. I loved that so much because I knew we both had a connection to the moon. And I always wondered if she sat outside, like I did, and confessed her feelings to the moon as well." I stared at her in awe, wondering how her brain worked in such a way all the way back then. "It's kinda stupid now that I'm saying it out loud." She laughed self-consciously.

"No, that was...it was a great explanation, I just..." I shook my head to clear my thoughts. "I wasn't expecting it, is all."

Camila and I looked at each other for quite some time before she cleared her throat. "So, your song now." She told me with a soft smile.

"Right. Well, I wrote this at around seventeen. So I was older, but it's still not as good as yours." Camila playfully swatted my arm with a chuckle. "It's called Water Fountain. I'll sing just a little too, so we're even." I winked, resulting in an eye roll.

She told me that she loved me by the water fountain
She told me that she loved me and she didn't love him
And that was really lovely 'cause it was innocent
But now she's got a cup with something else in it
It's getting kind of blurry at a quarter past ten
And he was in a hurry to be touching her skin
She's feeling kind of dirty when she's dancing with him
Forgetting what she told me by the water fountain

"Who hurt you?" Camila asked softly, her smile a little watery, showing her tears that slowly formed. "That's really fucking good, Y/N." She told me.

"Thanks. I uh, wrote it about this girl in high school. We had a secret relationship kinda." I took a deep breath, not wanting to speak on the topic that caused me so much pain, but it was only fair after what she told me. "She had a boyfriend. She didn't want to leave him, 'couldn't leave him'. But she always told me I was her person." I laughed bitterly. "It didn't end well. My first songs were about her. The meaningful ones at least, not the stupid first ones." Camila laughed, before becoming serious again.

"So that's why this...situation...isn't new for you. What you told me in San Francisco, it was from experience." I nodded in confirmation, unable to look away from the moon in fear of breaking down. "I'm sorry. For doing exactly what she did. I wish I could do something different but...I feel trapped." Camila's voice broke at the end of her sentence.

I reached over, grabbing her hand. We sat in silence, letting the warm breeze blow around us. "I'm not mad at you for it. I know it's hard. I just want you to do what feels right. I don't want to force you into feeling something you don't. That's the last thing I want."

"This. This is what feels right." Camila squeezed my hand. "When I'm with you, I'm not doubting how I feel. I know how I feel. I know I'm—" Camila inhaled sharply to stop the words from leaving her mouth.

"You're what?" I pressed, feeling the need to know what she was going to say. My eyes pleading with her to tell me.

"I'm falling. Hard. And that scares me because I've only done this once. And obviously it hasn't been the best experience. And I'm scared that it'll happen again, what's happening now with Lauren. I know I'm hurting you and I don't know how to fix that." I didn't reply, my mind taking in all the new information Camila just divulged. "God, I don't know why I said all that. I talk so much and I don't know why I do—"

"Camila. Shut up." I laughed. "I'm glad you told me. I'll tell you right now, I'm falling for you too. But I just cannot get involved with you if you're still involved with Lauren at all." Camila nodded in understanding. "But, I will give you time. I know it isn't easy. I'll wait for you."

"God, I want to kiss you so bad right now." Camila breathed out after some time, her eyes looking to my lips. I leaned in, placing a soft kiss on her lips. When I pulled away, Camila's eyes were still closed, her lips parted.

"I'll always be here waiting. I can't promise much, but I can promise I'll leave anything for you." I told her, cupping her cheek. "We have all the time in the world. At the very least, we know we have eight and half months left." We both laughed, Camila finally looking at me.

"I won't make you wait long. I can't." She told me, smiling.

That night we fell asleep on her rooftop, cuddled up underneath the moonlight. Laying on blankets and pillows Camila brought out for us. I knew right then that I would stay true to my words. I would leave anything for the girl in my arms. She already had my heart and I hoped to God she would be gentle with it.

————
(a/n); so there's some backstory for ya
ik most people are out of work and/or school (so am i) so i'll try and update more and more

also lowkey used my own experiences for y/n's story line here.

do you think camila will stay true to her word and end things with lauren? and if she does will y/n be waiting still?

thanks for reading guys❤️