chapter nineteen

"Then let's never do that. Let's always make it easy." She said. "Promise me we'll always work to keep it easy." Camila held out her pinky.

"Promise." I told her, locking our pinkies together and leaning forward to kiss her. Our nice moment was interrupted by my front door bell ringing. "Did you invite someone over?" I asked her.

"No. I would've asked first before inviting someone into your home." She laughed.

"Fair enough. I'll be right back." Camila hopped off my lap and grabbed her notebook, writing down what I assumed to be a song idea, as I stood and left the room, making my way to the front door. I peaked out the window, seeing someone in a dark hoodie under a leather jacket, the hood pulled low, covering their face. I swallowed harshly, preparing myself for my inevitable murder. But, like the idiot I am, I opened the door. My eyes widened. "Lauren?"

"Hey..." Lauren breathed out, looking up at me. I stepped aside, letting her into my house. "Sorry for just coming by so randomly." She laughed uncomfortably.

"Uh, it's okay. What's up?" I asked her lamely, running a hand through my hair.

"I just wanted to apologize. For like, everything that happened with Camz, uh, Camila." Lauren paused for a second, biting her lip. "I don't want to be the one who comes between you guys. I'm sorry for what I did before. She's just all I've ever known, ya know? We've broken up before but it was never really a break up. But, I know this is. I know that now. So I'm sorry."

"Lauren—"

"No, let me finish." Lauren cut me off, though it wasn't malicious in anyway. "Camila and I weren't good together. We were really fucking toxic. And I know that. I also know that Camila is so happy with you. I can see it when she talks about you. I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm in love with her. I have been for as long as I can remember. And since I love her, I know she deserves someone like you. So I'm sorry for being that person." Lauren sighed, seemingly finished with her rant.

"Look, Lauren, I appreciate that. I do." I started. "But, I don't think you're relationship with Camila should be brushed off. You taught her so much. You taught her how to be loved and happy, even if it had its downfalls. Whether I like it or not, you helped shape Camila into who she is today. Never apologize for being in love with someone." I told her truthfully.

"Shit," Lauren chuckled out. "I was expecting you to like...I don't know. Be mad. But either way, Camila may have been happy with me but I've never seen her happier than she is when she's with you." She told me honestly. "I'm gonna need some time away from her and...everything. But just...treat her better than I ever did. You already are but, still. Show her how perfect she is. And never, ever, be as stupid as I was and let her slip away. Because someone like Camila, they're a one in a lifetime type of person. And you'll never forgive yourself for losing her."

I looked at Lauren sadly. I felt bad for her, honestly. Yes, she did try and kiss Camila after she had ended it, even though she knew Camila and I were involved. But I can't fault her for that. Camila is truly all she's known. "It means a lot to hear you say all that. But, please, don't beat yourself up. Camila may be special, but don't give up hope on ever finding love again. You will, I know it." I smiled, and pulled Lauren in for a hug.

"You're something else." Lauren sniffled. "I can tell you that if the roles were reversed, I would have cussed you out and smacked you." She laughed, causing me to as well. "Thank you for being so understanding. Goodbye."