chapter thirty

I opened my eyes slowly, squinting them to shield myself from the bright Miami sun that was shining through the window. "Good morning." I jumped, looking over to find Sinu placing down a laundry basket filled with folded clothes. "I was just going to wake you. Breakfast is ready. I'll let you wake sleeping beauty. Good luck." She winked, leaving the room once again.

I held myself up with my elbows, looking down at Camila's sleeping self. Smiling slightly, I brushed away a stray strand of hair that rested across her face. "Cami...time to wake up." Camila groaned, turning her face away from me. "Hey, breakfast is ready."

She cracked open an eye. "What time is it?" Glancing at the clock, I told her it was a little after nine. "I don't wanna get up." She complained.

"Well, your breakfast will get cold." I told her, trying to keep her from falling back asleep.

"What is it?" She asked.

"I don't know. Smells good though, we should go find out."

"Are you trying to bribe me with food?" I smiled innocently at her. "That's evil." Camila sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Fine. Let's go."

————

"So, what do you have planned today?" Alejandro asked as he cut a piece of ham and took a bite.

"Well, Y/N and I have to go down to the beach today." Camila answered, shoveling eggs into her mouth as if she hadn't eaten for ages.

"We'll all go then. Make it a día de familia." He announced, smiling proudly at his family.

"Oh, papá, um I'd rather just Y/N and I go. It's for pictures anyway." Camila clenched her jaw as she tried convincing her father.

"It's final, Camila. We haven't been out as a family for too long." He told her.

Camila looked at Sinu, no doubt trying to get her to agree that they should stay behind. "Sorry, mija. I agree with your father." Camila sighed, sitting back in her chair as she pushed her food around with her fork.

————

"What is it?" I asked Camila as she sat on her towel, looking out at her family as they swam in the ocean, laughing.

"Huh?" She looked over at me, her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"You have that look again. Ya know, the one where you're clearly deep in thought about something. I haven't seen it in a while." I told her while taking a sip of my water. "So, what is it?"

Camila sighed, looking back out at her family, the cameras shuttering behind us. "My parents always told me that my career wouldn't affect our family. And that was fine for a while. But with all the publicity stunts, it got harder." She scooped up some sand with her hand, before turning it over and watching it fall back to the ground. "I just don't want them, especially Sofi, to have to deal with all the pictures. People online are mean. I never want Sofi to think there's something wrong with her because of what people say, ya know?"

I nodded, understanding. "That's why you didn't want them to come today."

"Exactly. I don't know. I don't want them to have to hide per say, but..." Camila shrugged. "I hate that I'm the reason Sofi won't have a normal life. Not really, anyway. She'll always be 'Camila Cabello's little sister' and she's so much more than that." Camila bit her lip as she looked out at Sofia sadly.

"She knows she is. Your parents don't treat her different. And she has friends who love her for her. There's only so much you can do, Cami." I placed my hand on her tan thigh. "Family is complicated, but you have a good one."

Camila smiled at me, covering my hand with hers and squeezing it. "I appreciate you." She told me honestly. "Speaking of family, I've never heard about yours."

"Ah, well..." I sighed, opening my mouth to tell her it's complicated but I was interrupted by her family coming up to us and grabbing their towels.

"¿Tienes hambre? Vamos a conseguir comida." Alejandro spoke, wrapping a towel around his wife.

"No thank you. We're gonna walk on the beach for a little bit." Camila stood as she politely smiled. "Te amo." She kissed her parents on their cheeks as I stood up as well. "Come on." She grabbed my hand, leading me closer to the ocean.

"Just so you know, I was hungry." I informed her, interlocking our fingers as the camera followed some distance behind us, capturing us as we walked along the beach.

"Sorry," She laughed. "I wanted to hear what you were gonna say. About your family?" Camila looked at me with a smile.

I licked my lips as I sighed. "It's complicated, Camila." She gave me look, asking for further explanation.

"You never talk about them. I just want to know."

I tossed my head back, closing my eyes. "Well, I haven't spoken to my parents for years. I only keep in contact with my older brother." Camila squeezed my hand reassuringly. "My dad, um...he used to try and get us to learn how to be good kids, in his own way. It started with a slap or twist of the arm. Over a few years it escalated to full beatings." I clenched my jaw, feeling my body tense. All the old bruises and scars could be felt all over my body as if they were new. "When I graduated I left to LA and never looked back."

"Y/N...I didn't know it was..." Camila swallowed, looking ahead again as we walked. "Is that why, when people accused you of...being abusive, you..."

"Yeah." I licked my lips. "It strikes a chord. Because I know abuse. And I try so hard to never be like that. And that night...I'd heard my dad call my mother that so often and I knew how horrible it made her feel." My eyes watered, causing me to pause and recollect myself. The cameramen dispersed, seemingly done for the day and satisfied with the content they got. "I'm so sorry." I stopped walking, turning to look at Camila.

She sighed sadly with a soft smile. "Baby..." She kissed my cheek before pulling me into a hug. "I know you are. I know." I shoved my head into her neck, letting my sobs wrack my body as I let all my memories come over me once again.

————
(a/n): here you go :)
a little look into y/n's family. i hope this makes things a bit clearer from past chapters.

do you think camila and y/n are jumping into things too fast it taking them slow like they said?

don't forget to vote
thanks for reading ❤️