Reasons

***Dek's POV***

Weeks have gone by since I stepped foot in Elik's office. It feels like a prison to me. I am unable to enjoy the benefits of my significant other owning his company due to unnecessary strain.

Jamie has managed to make me loathe his existence. That alone shocks me. I am not that type of person. I absolutely hate that a single being has been able to stir these types of feelings within my relationship.

Avoiding Jamison altogether has definitely worked. However, I can't help but feel like I need to know the underlying reasons for his actions. I find it hard to believe that anyone just likes me so deeply upon first sight.

I mean there is Elik. But, he's the exception and the feeling is mutual.

So, being me, I decide to face my problem head on. Without alerting anyone, I offered Jamie to go to lunch today. My treat. Is this a mistake? Probably. Will their be repercussions? We shall see.

I head to my own restaurant for the umpteenth time. The fact is, the atmosphere is calming, the food is delicious and it's away from wondering eyes. But, I also have the comfort of knowing the staff will not allow Jamie to step out of line. It's a big win all around.

I exit my vehicle after parking. I immediately spot the ostentatious yellow Bugatti that Jamie drives. He steps from it brooding in douchebaggery. (Not a word? Sue me! LOL) I walk thru the parking lot without making eye contact and seek the entrance to The Palm. It's difficult not to fall into a lazy path of friendliness. I have to keep my guard up.

The hostess greets me with familiarity and I smile generously at the sweet girl. She takes me to my seat and places my usual gin and sprite in front of me. I peruse the menu for the lunch specials. Every day a few different entrees are offered. It's a good way to add variety.

I look up as I hear Jamie's greeting.

"Dek, this is a pleasant surprise." Jamie beams a killer smile my way.

"Don't make me regret it." I smile lightly in return.

"Ah, don't be that way." Jamie chuckles while he takes his seat across from me.

The server comes and offers Jamie a drink. He accepts with a small nod. He places his order for a whiskey sour. I lift my brow incredulously. Hitting the hard stuff early on, I see.

"What brings us to this lunch?" Jamie cuts straight thru the red tape.

"You." I offer in response.

"What about me?" Jamie feints stupidity.

"Your presence at Elik's company has been bittersweet to say the least." I curtly disregard his play.

"Nothing wrong with friendly competition." Jamie smirks.

The server takes our orders and removes the menus from our table.

"No competition. Friendly is questionable. What I want to know is, why?" I ask dryly.

I'm not exactly amused by Jamie's arrogant attitude. If I was being honest, he rubs me completely the wrong way.

"When I see something I want, I take it." Jamie begins.

"What exactly is it that you think you saw." I press for confirmation.

"Easy." Jamie smiles evilly. "You."

"I apologize that you are visually impaired, however, I am fully marked, claimed and satisfied." This time I smirk. I worded my response perfectly.

"I don't see a ring." Jamie chuckles.

"Would that even matter?" I question doubtfully.

"Sure." Jamie lies.