I Hear Your Heartbeat 13

It's the opening of classes. I entered Law School at Pan Edro University.

I don't want to be a cardio surgeon anymore because I don't want to remember how Donny hates mom because of a mistake.

I found out that changing your wants or likes for the betterment is also important. It is not thinking about yourself only but for others as well.

I am a little bit excited because finally I am going to start my journey in fulfilling my aspiration to be an attorney like dad. But I am the saddest because Donny can no longer attend school. He has a lot of responsibilities, not just for their Law Firm but to the people, to the employee who are dependent to their company.

I went to school with the feeling of what ifs.

What if Donny and I are going to the same school?

What if we will go to school at the same time?

What if we will walk at the corridors of this school together?

What if Donny and I are seatmates in our classroom?

What if we have assignments and we will answer it together at the library before going home?

"What if we will join a contest in our school and we will represent the whole university afterwards?"
...

"What if I can't make new friends? I asked myself while sitting on my chair.

"Hi, I'm Cynthia how are you?" a classmate suddenly asked.

"I'm Sharlene. I'm good," I answered.

"From where are you?"

"I'm from Korea. And I studied there."

"Oh, that's great. You know it's my dream to visit there. But I feel somewhat sad thinking about it."

"But why?"

"My parents can't afford to send me to college so I don't think I can go soon. It will take many years more before I could go there."

"Of course you could go there."

"You're right so I am going to study well because I wish I could go there when I could find a job and make money. How do you feel riding a plane going here?"

I never thought I would meet someone like Cynthia. Someone who is not yet able to ride on a plane or shall I say someone who have never been to other country. But I admire her determination. She's real about herself.

"I won't tell you, so that you will do your best to go there someday. Study hard. Fighting!" I told her.

She laughed. Then we both laugh.

"In the future if I will have money, could you help me visit Korea?"

If I would want to boast that time, I should have told her that I can bring her there anytime. But I don't want to ruin her dreams. She has to stand on her own and make way for herself.

"Sure," I told her with a smile.

"Honestly we are poor. I have three brothers in high school and my parents do not have a stable job. But nanay said, she was once the brightest among her classmates, but because they were poor ever since and she was not that brave so she was not able to finish college.

Cynthia is from a poor family. But she's studying in Pan Edro University because of scholarship. She is really intelligent. I can't imagine how she topped over 3000 examiners. But she is full of hope. She is determined. She is really humble.

"How's your family in Korea?"

"I am the only child. So it's a little bit sad. My mom and dad seldom see each other. We are not that okay in terms of family bonding."