Chapter 12: Quirkless

(11 years earlier)

A young woman sat next to her daughter in the doctor's office. A nervous expression on her face as she waited for the doctor to say something. The man sat across from the two of them as the little girl looked at the floor a frown on her face. She was too afraid to look at her mother right now.

"So, will my daughter have a quirk" the woman questioned, desperate for an answer. The man across from them sighed before holding up a clipboard with an X-ray on it. 

"I'm sorry, your daughter won't have a quirk," he told the woman, causing the room to go completely silent. The woman looked at her daughter for a mere moment, a frustrated expression appearing on her face.

"I understand," the woman spoke quietly. The mother-daughter duo left the doctor's office and started to head home, neither of them saying anything until the little girl spoke up inside of the car.

"Mommy are you mad at me," the little girl asked, stuttering as she did so. Her mother was quiet for a moment, staring at the road.

"Be quiet Christina, mommy needs to focus on driving" the woman commanded in a harsh tone. The change in her voice scared the little girl so much that she remained silent until the two of them made it back to their home.

"Go to your room sweetie, your father and I need to talk," the woman said as they stepped inside. Christina made her way up the stairs not saying a word to either of her parents, she didn't dare look at either of them. She made her way upstairs to her room and sat on her bed, grabbed one of her many stuffed animals, and began to hug it tightly for comfort. She did so as her parents suddenly started yelling at each other, their voices being audible from the little girl's bedroom. Suddenly, the yelling stopped, and Christina wiped away the tears standing up. She slowly pushed her bedroom door open and made her way back down the stairs. But before she made it to the bottom her mother had appeared in front of her a scowl on her face. Without saying a word she grabbed the little girl's arm gripping it tightly. She flinched, staring up at the woman with fear in her eyes.

"Mommy stop, you're hurting me" she begged shaking violently now. Tears started to fall from her eyes. The woman said nothing as she dragged her child back to her bedroom. She threw her inside her back hitting the wall with a loud thud. She glared at her child, all the love she had for her before now replaced with hatred.

"Stay in here, you useless brat" she demanded before slamming the door closed and locking it. Shaking the walls of the house for a moment. Christina was left alone in her room as she lay in her bed, curled up with her stuffed animal held close to her chest. She began to freely sob.