45.

It only dawned on Callie that she had track today during Spanish, she was faintly listening to the professor babble on about airports and suitcases. She had gazed outside, the weather dismal matching how she felt. The pills didn't make any changes, but it's only the first day. Apparently, they don't fully kick in for about a week. She looked around her, seeing students writing hurried notes before the bell rings. She copied the questions on the board, struggling to answer them. The bell had saved her from putting her mind to work, so she stood up and quickly left the room.

Science. She was becoming suddenly aware of everything, following the crowd of juniors to their classes. She ended up outside the science lab, forcing her feet to move to her desk. Every time she entered the classroom, she suddenly remembers who her partner is. It was still awkward, which is usual for her. But she sat down, nonetheless, and began daydreaming for the umpteenth time today. She was definitely feeling different today. Grayson had entered, Callie avoided his gaze as she relived seeing his late night messages in her head.

"Hey." He whispered.

"Hi."

The professor hadn't arrived, giving Grayson an opportunity to bother Callie over and over again.

"Callie, did you get my messages?"

"Yes."

"So, what do you think?"

Callie felt agitated. Why was he asking her what she thought?

"Grayson, what do you expect me to say? That I love you and I want you back? You cheated and that is final. I have moved on, gotten a boyfriend, and now you bother me with your 'Molly means nothing to me' and 'I miss you'. I don't have the time nor patience for that, or you. You hurt me and I don't want to be hurt again. That's what I think." She fumed. She

"Callie, do you need some time out?" The professor spoke.

Saying nothing, she left. Walking away from the classroom, to her car. Part of her wanted to walk home and sleep until the day was gone. But her mom wouldn't send her back to school until she knew the pills were doing something. So all she could do was sit on the bench, doing nothing. Pulling out the brownie bag from her backpack, she bit into one. These were her safe haven and she blessed the day her mom learnt how to make them. She closed her eyes, remembering the day she discovered these treats.

Callie entered the kitchen, Spanish textbook in hand. "Mom, I need help. I would ask dad but he isn't Spanish."

Callie was grateful for her mom having Spanish roots, it really proved helpful with homework. Her mom put her bowl down to observe the book, seeing a sentence.

'Me gusta nadar y pintar'

"I like to swim and paint." Her mom replied. Callie smiled, jotting it down, closing her book. She saw a dark batter in the bowl her mom was so furiously mixing. She dipped her finger in, tasting the batter.

"Wow!" Callie cheered, clapping her hands. "Save me some."

And so she did, Callie was called to the kitchen and greeted by the smell of brownies. She grabbed a small square, biting into it. Callie didn't react at first, she couldn't comprehend the taste.

"It's deliciosa."