42.

"So, what would you like to do today?" Her mom asked.

"I don't mind helping you work, I just need to be distracted." She replied. As her mom got out ingredients, Callie had flipped through her mom's massive book of recipes. "How about snickerdoodles?"

"We need more than just snickerdoodles. We need to make lots." Callie's mom added. "Choose a few more."

She flipped through the book, finding a few more.

"Cheesecake bites, butterscotch cookies, banana bread, and oatmeal crème pie." Her mom read out. "Sounds good."

And they'd gotten to work. Whilst she made the cheesecake bites, her mom made the butterscotch cookies. Callie wanted to be alone with the pit in her stomach, hoping to sleep it away. But her mom being on her own from now on was too important. So she kept her company, helping her with food orders. Soon enough, the treats were in the oven and they were cleaning up.

"So, Marco and Conan are doing their finals soon." Her mom squealed. "I can't believe it."

"Neither can I. We spoke about it this morning, which means I can't see him as much, but it's for a good cause." Callie explained.

"Have you thought about how it's going to work between the both of you, with him at college and you still at school?" Her mom asked, loading the final bowl into the dishwasher.

"I think we can make it work." She replied. She didn't know if she was sure or not.

-

It was now 6pm and Callie was sitting outside the doctor's with her phone in her hand.

Marco: You'll be okay, I've almost finished my flash notes for History.

Callie: Good, I can test you when you come over later.

She sighed, entering the building. The nice lady at the desk had taken her information, so Callie found a chair to sit in. The waiting times for the appointments were quite long, so she'd brought a book with her to pass time. What things were they going to ask her? What does she do from here? Soon enough, a doctor had entered the waiting room.

"Miss Campbell?" They called out.

Callie rose to her feet, following the doctor into their room. The sight of all the equipment, the hospital chairs filled her with dread. She chose to sit down anyway, facing the doctor with a fearful look in her eye.

"What seems to be the problem, Miss Campbell?"