No Trust

Haven Vault/ Unknown time

Cinder was slowly descending into the depths of an underground lake, located at the bottom of the caven. Cinder drifted unconsciously, sleeping. Her slumber was interrupted by someone grabbing her collar.

She was dragged onto a small piece of land, and left there to rest. The figure just moved to the shadows, sitting down on a rock nearby, watching the Fall Maiden sleep. The only two sources of illumination were the shining golden leaves from the tree way above them, and a small crack in the rock wall, that allowed daybreak to seep in.

A few days later, Cinder woke up in a panic, shooting up, searching her surroundings. Her breathing calmed down, indicating her relaxed state. But a fake cough instantly got her attention, spinning around to greet the source. She tried to get on her feet but she fell back down, as the pain was too much.

The figure was still sat down on the same rock, his face and upper body hidden by the natural shadow of the caven. He spoke. His identity instantly becoming clear to the Maiden.

EMIYA: I wouldn't strain myself if I were you, especially with those injuries.

Cinder: E-EMIYA? But I thought you were-

EMIYA: Dead? Yeah so did I, never expected for a lake to be under the vault. Saved my life...and your's.

Cinder: You pulled me out of the lake?

EMIYA: That I did. You weren't waking up any time soon, so I got you out before you drowned.

Cinder: But why?! That was your perfect chance to kill me!

The Archer didn't respond he just got up and moved in front of Cinder, who was eyeing him down, activating her Maiden powers.

EMIYA: I don't have a Master. Salem abandoned me...abandoned us the moment we both failed. The only reason I'm standing here is because of my class' perk, Independent Action. It allow me to operate serval days without an income of prana from my master, so I can survive without a master. But it isn't permanent, I'll die in a few days.

Cinder: I see! You want me alive to become your master! Well you can fucking forget it! You backstabbing Bastard!

EMIYA: No. I don't want a prana source. You must understand, Cinder Fall. I lost my battle, and the defeated must take their leave. I saved you, because it was my duty as a Counter Guardian, nothing more. Your death has no meaning or value, it wouldn't achieve anything if I killed you now.

Cinder: So you don't want to use me?

EMIYA: Nope.

Cinder: You're accepting death?

EMIYA: Yep. The only reason I stayed for this long was because I wanted to make sure you recovered before I left, don't want you to die after I went through the trouble to saving you.

The Maiden looked amazed at the Servant, astonished by his answer. She considered something in her head, looking back at the Archer, that just sat down again and stared into space. She turned and spoke to him in a cooing tone.

Cinder: EMIYA be my Servant. Since Salem has abandoned us, it would make sense that we should team up to get what we want. Without that witch we can't be stopped by what she wants, we can get our revenge on those that wronged us.

EMIYA:...

Cinder: So what do you say? Will you join me?

EMIYA: Tell me Cinder, who exactly has "wronged" me? As far as I'm aware, there's no one that I hold a serious grudge on.

The Maiden was surprised by his answer but quickly composed herself, facing the Archer Servant.

Cinder: Why the boy of course. Didn't you want to kill him before he trapped you as a Guardian? And now he just defeated you, it would make sense to want revenge.