Chapter 7

Phoebe's POV

Two weeks later.

It has now been two weeks  since Bri and I are friends and we've gotten very close. But I can't say the same for Brent otherwise from his disgusted looks at me and him totally ignoring me we haven't uttered a word to each other but I don't care right; do I?
+++++

"So how have you been doing these past few weeks?" Mrs.Sanches my therapist for the pass three to four years asks me.
"Good" I nod giving her a smile. I have an early morning session with her before I head off to school. Even though I hate Monday's.
"Just good?" she questions making sure that I am certain with my answer.

"Yes" I reply nodding my head in confirmation.
"So anything interesting happened?" she asks with a smile.
Well otherwise from her good friend and her stuck up brother giving her disgusted looks every now and then everything is just fine.
My disrespectful subconscious sneaks in.

"Phoebe....hello...Phoebe"
I'm called out  of my thoughts by Mrs.Sanches who now has a weird look on her face.
"Huh?" I ask abruptly when I realized that she's calling me. My cheeks flush in embarrassment.
"I-I'm not ready yet" I tell her.
"Are you sure?" She questions just to confirm my decision.

"Yes" I say in an assertive tone. We spent a few minutes more until the meeting was over and I head off to school.
"Bye dad" I say kissing his cheek.
"Ok honey bye"
I take deep breaths and clutch my dove. I walk up to my locker and saw that Bri's already there.
"Hey" I greet her giving her a warm smile.

"Hey. What took you so long?" she asks.
Well I was having a session with my therapist early this morning no biggie; but I still arrived early.
I wanted to tell her that badly but not yet.

"Ahhh I-I had somethings to take care of" I tell her trying to be as convincing as possible. I strangely didn't like lying to her. Well I'm not full on lying.
"Oh; ok" she shrugs.
———

Bri and I have English Literature in the morning. When we enter the classroom we sit in one of the pair seats blowing down. We start chatting a little until the teacher arrives.
"Good morning students" Mr.Webster greets putting his bag on the desk.

"Good morning Mr.Webster" we all reply.
"Today I'll be giving you all a project and I'll be grouping you so stay back after class for a few minutes."he announces sternly. The entire class erupt into loud chattering all opposing to what Mr.Webster said.
"SILENCE!!"  Mr.Webster's course voice echoes.

I shift in my seat and take a breather. In the middle of the class I hear heavy footsteps coming in Bri let's out a sigh and curses underneath her breath. I slowly look up. Lo and behold Brent Palmer. My breath hitches in my throat when he looks-our way. I quickly snatch my head down to avoid his gaze.

"I hope you have a good explanation for being late Mr.Palmer or detention" Mr.Webster warns him  calmly but sternly. He starts walking down without the teachers oder.

"Ok then take a seat detention will do you good" Mr.Webster booms and continue with his lesson. I lift my head and watch as he takes a seat in front of us. I look over at Bri who has a worried look on her face.

I watch as she stretch over and touch his shoulder with her hand. He turns around with a pissed off look on his face.
"What happened?" She asks him softly.
"Nothing" he growls. I can hear the anger rising in his voice.

"Really you just got detention and you're saying that no-" before she could finish he shuts her up with a shout.
"It's none of your damn business!!" he lashes making me jump in my seat.
"Mr. Palmer" Mr. Webster calls to him again gaining him numerous stares.
The atmosphere is getting too heated and I can't take it anymore.

RING!!!!
Saved by the bell thank God. I get up and pack my things.
"Wait students." sir says making us sit immediately.
"Ok so here are the pairs that we're going to be working with" he says looking at the paper in his hand.
"Ok so here goes....."he starts.

"Patty and James
Veronica and Tia
Patrick and Peter
Ted and Carlos
Fiona and Dana
Brith and Kurt....and last but not least....
Phoebe and.....
Oh God,oh no!!
Brent." He finally finishes calling the names.

I start to debate in my mind whether to ask for another person or whether to leave it be. But the truth is I can't leave it be. My palms start to sweat uncontrollably and I keep on wiping it on my jeans. I decided to confront sir after class when he dismisses us.

"Now you are all going to pick up your projects tomorrow after school so use the time left to get to know each other. You're dismissed"
I wait until everyone's gone before I acknowledge Mr.Webster.
"Ex-Excuse me s-sir can I talk to you for a second?" I ask him with a shaky voice not certain what his response will be.

"Ok. You've never had any problems before so what happened?" He asks looking concern. I take a deep breath;
"Sir I'm not comfortable with the grouping" I say speaking fluently.
"Ok and who's your partner?" He questions.

"Am B-Brent" I  gulp calling his name that tastes like salt on the tip of my tongue.
He blows down and gives me a 'sorry no can't do' look.
"So what do you want me to do?" He asks.

Is this guy for real he knows what I am asking for and he's here acting like he's clueless.
I inwardly roll my eyes, I don't like when people ask me foolish questions but I reply.
"I'm asking if you could decouple us please" I plead with him but it all went to waste.

"I'm sorry but that's just what I mapped out" he tells me and I tell him thanks for his time and head to my next class.
::::::::

I can't stop thinking about what happened this morning not that I cared but the problem is that I'm partnering up with Brent.
Bri and I ordered our lunch and were making our way over to our spot when I felt something wet on my head making its way down to my face.

I froze in the same place mouth wide open; hands still holding onto the tray and a rapid heart beat.

"I told you to stay away from him and that it wasn't over right." I recognize the voice immediately but did nothing. I want to punch her; kick her do something to her but I'm in pure shock as I stand there in utter confusion.
Can someone fight over Brent out of all people.

I thought to myself. I don't expect better from Evan though.
For four years I went unknown and now the popular group is picking on me. I feel a hand grab my shoulder, takes the tray out of my hands and lead me into the girls  wash room. Where I cry silently under the shower while washing my hair in the process. Everything started replaying in my mind.

I got PAIRED with Brent out of all people Brent!!! The queen of the popular crew starts picking on me and now I'm in a bathroom sobbing.

These shitty harmonies, I shouldn't have taken my pills. Curse you damn Anxiety.
I let out a low sob.
"B are you alright?" I hear Bri's worrisome voice ask. I wipe my face and turn off the shower.

"Y-yeah I'm f-fine" I reply trying to sound convincing but I fail because my voice broke in the end.
"Hey...wanna talk about it?" She asks in a concern tone.
"N-no" I manage to say, she left it alone and hands me fresh clothes. Which consists of an oversized sweater and jeans.

The rest of the day was a blank and as soon as it was over I rushed home and cried myself to sleep.

What did Brent do? Is there any progress in his and red heads relationship? Well read the next chapter to find out. 👉👇whatever you do.

Is Phoebe's anxiety too much? Well not for me if you had anxiety attacks you wouldn't be judging. I'll leave it as it is. Adios 👋