Chapter 38

Phoebe's POV

Today is the second day of exams and Brent agreed to pick me up in ten minutes. He always informs people  on the appointed time,I can never understand him.
I retrieve my bag from my neatly spread bed as those thoughts invade my mind.

I make my way downstairs  into the kitchen.
"Good morning" I greet my father who's pouring coffee inside a cup. I crinkle my nose at the horrid smell. How do people even drink that bitter liquid? I question myself remembering that Brent loves drinking it also. I walk over to the fridge in search of a bottle of water as soon as I spot it I reach out and grab it then close the fridge.

"Good morning" he replies resting his left hand on the counter while the other holds his coffee. An idea pops up in my mind and I walk over to the cupboard taking out a cup which people use to store coffee in when they are going to work. I pour the steaming hot coffee into the cup trying my best not to spill. I cover it with the lid and set the pot back in the holder.

"Since when do drink coffee?" Dad asks bringing the cup to his lips. I smile holding the cup in my hands thankful that it doesn't burn on the outside.
"It's not for me it's for Br- a friend" I answer looking elsewhere but him.
"Ok" I can hear the humor in his voice and I roll my eyes snatching two bananas from the bunch that's on the counter.
"How are things at the diner?" I change the subject.
"It's a bit tight but it'll be ok. I want to hire some workers soon though. But don't worry" he says trying his best to let me not worry but it isn't helping. A deep frown takes over my face and my father sighs. I wish that I could help but I can't;not until college at least.

The honking of a car outside drives my attention from my father. Why can't he be respectful for once and knock on my door. I give my dad a quick hug and exit the house,I walk up to Brent's car and enter.
"Hey" I greet him.
"Hey"he mumbles. I hand him the cup in my hand and the two bananas in the other. He scrunches in face in confusion I push them towards him again and  takes them with a smile. It warms my heart anytime he smiles even if it's just a small stretch of his lips it makes my day.

"Thanks" he mumbles and I chuckle.
"You're welcome" I reply and watch as he peels the skin off of the banana I just gave him. He places it in his mouth and bites off a majority of it and I can't help my low giggle that comes after he did so. He cocks his eyebrows at me and I bite my cheeks to stop myself from laughing any further. He takes another bite and finishes it. I look away and give him some privacy to eat. He pulls out of my driveway and onto the residential road.

He uses his left hand to drive and uses the other to hold the cup while he sips it.
"What? Want some?" He teases. I scrunch my nose and look at the cup in disgust.
"No I'm fine. How do people even drink that?" I can't help but ask.
"Because missy.......it's energizing" he explains taking one last sip finishing his coffee.
"What made you do it?" He asks and I turn slightly to look at him. He's in his signature white t-shirt and black jeans and his heavy duty boots. He looks good in them.
"What?" I cluelessly ask.
"Carry the coffee and banana?" He asks slightly cringing when he says the word banana.
"No reason. I just figured that I would carry some for you" I reply and he hums.
"Why did you start wearing black and white alone these past months you always wear name brands" I know I sound like a creepy stalker but I can't help but ask.

"Well that's what people want to see you wear but that's not me I do what I want" I can hear the rebel in his voice and it turns me on. Meaning I like it. What the hell am I saying?
I shake those thoughts out of my head and hum.
"Ok" I simply answer.
"No more questions" he instructs and I nod.
————————
I feel less paranoid than I was just yesterday and I'm thankful. The drive with Brent this morning was somewhat civilized. It's probably the most we have spoken without shouting in each other's faces. I can't recall the last time we argued though;other than the other day.