Chapter 23. "There's really nothing more I can do for you."

Ondreaz POV:

When I put my hands on her waist, I could have slapped myself, but I guess she didn't mind. But in the elevator I took them down again, because my brother was looking at me all the time and I had the feeling that he was planning something anyway.

I felt that it was not good for me not to touch her, but suddenly the tingling was back. I realized what had just happened. She had taken my hand! I quickly put my fingers around her palm and had to suppress my stupid grin.

When the elevator came to a halt at the bottom I interlocked my fingers with hers, she looked up at me and smiled at me. I loved that smile. It warmed my heart. Together we left the elevator and I realized once again that I was very much in love with her. Much too much, actually.

But I still had a few days with her and I would enjoy them, no matter what she felt for me. Even when the others saw our hands, I didn't even think about letting go of them. "You should talk," Tony coughed while shoveling food onto his plate.

We looked at each other briefly and she nodded. We went to a part of the floor that was completely empty. Honestly, I had no plan how to begin, but she took that from me. "Remember, truth or dare? I was asked the question what my best moment of the last time was and I didn't want to answer because it was only a few moments ago."

I remembered it vaguely. "Ondreaz, I don't want to ruin our friendship - which hasn't lasted long, but it's still there - but I can't deny that I've fallen a little more than a little in love with you."

I stared at her in disbelief. I wasn't used to a girl making the first move. I was completely overwhelmed with it. I had tried to put words together to say everything I wanted to say, but it threw me off. I was unable to say anything even remotely decent. "YY- you...?", that's all I could say, and then I pressed my lips together and squeezed my eyes together. Don't say the wrong thing now, I admonished myself in my thoughts and thought about what I should say now.

No matter how I twisted and pushed it, nothing really fit. But it didn't matter, I would think of something.

When I opened my eyes again and was about to start, I noticed that she was gone. With the flat hand that had just held Mel's, I hit my forehead. Why did I have to be so indescribably stupid?

How long had I stood there and said nothing? How long had she looked at me and asked herself what was wrong with me, why I did not answer?

My back slipped down the wall and clenched my hands into fists. "Dude, are you fucking retarded?" Tony hissed and I opened my eyes again. He looked angry, really angry. "Soph just stormed out of the room!" he yelled and tears welled up in my eyes.

"That's not going to happen anyway,' I sighed and shortly afterwards I felt a burning pain on my cheek. "Damn it, Tony," I shouted. He had actually beaten me. "Are you completely stupid?" he shouted back.

"Sophia is the best you will ever get, and now that you can have her, you're blowing her off? There's really nothing I can do for you now." He sounded hurt. Then he got up and left. Maybe I deserved to be hit.

And then I sat there, the others left me alone. They were probably mad at me too. But not nearly as mad as I was at myself

And my younger brother was so right. Soph was the best thing I could wish for and I was already so dependent on her touch that it hurt to know that she would be hurt. Even when I found her so battered in the gym my heart was broken, but it was nothing like that. Because the pain she now felt, that was my fault.