Chapter 26. "Please tell me you're trying."

Soph POV :

After I told them my story, they comforted me, took me in their arms, whispered words of encouragement, then tried to distract me, but it didn't work.

They didn't want to go to bed and leave me alone anymore. I thought about Senna all the time. That was almost four years ago. Such a long time. Amy was right. The scars from those few cuts had faded. Senna's had no chance. She had died, too soon. She had only 16 years of life left. So little.

I was lucky again. Maybe I couldn't have handled that guy either. Maybe he would have killed me like he killed her. I'd have been better off sticking it in my stomach until I was silent.

I was so lost in thought, I didn't notice the others leaving the living room. I looked up confused, Ondreaz had asked me something. "Excuse me?"

"Can I talk to you?" he asked me again, a little smile on his lips. Gently I nodded. Together, we went to the balcony in his room. There was a brief silence until he began to talk. "I'm sorry for what happened to you,' he said and ran his hands through his hair, not knowing where to put them.

"Was that all?", I asked irritatedly, as I had actually hoped he would bring up another topic. "No, I just wanted to say that again. What I really wanted to say was..." It seemed as if he was looking for words to say. Patiently I waited for him to open his mouth, but nothing came. Shaking my head I wanted to leave, but he held me down.

"It hurt that you pretended nothing was wrong. It hurt when I saw this morning that you were gone. It hurt to know that it was my fault you weren't well. Tony's beat was nothing compared to the pain I felt when I saw you crying just now. Or the pain of lying in bed earlier, missing someone by my side."

He paused. I didn't look at him because my upper body was still facing the room. But I felt his look on me. "I missed you. When you held my hand, when you lay next to me or when you just accidentally touched me ... I'm usually good with words, but not with you. Because, as stupid as it sounds, you make speechless.."

He was catching his breath. "I've arranged words to best express how I feel about you. But I haven't found any. You know, I'm kind of scared. I'm on tour and I'll never get to see you, but I realized that it doesn't matter if I tell you how much you mean to me every second I have for it. I've fallen in love with you, Soph."

Tears started to form in my eyes. "Are you doing this out of pity?" I whispered. "No, I'm not. I wouldn't say I fell in love with you if it wasn't true. But it is true, and I would like to look into your eyes." Now I turned to him and he immediately pulled me into an hug.

"Please tell me you'll try," he muttered in my hair. "Try what?" Now he looked at me again. "To be my girlfriend." His eyes glistened.

I waited, I looked at his face, then I put my hands on his shoulders. The muscles in his upper arms twitched briefly, then he took my hands. "Okay," I whispered and smiled. And the next moment, his lips were on mine.