Chapter 54: "now I have you"

Countdown - 3rd Nick, Jack and Thomas 

The Boys and I stood in front of a huge black building, which made a pretty scary impression from the outside. But as soon as I saw what it was, it started jumping up and down. "Yeay, laser tag. I haven't done that for a long time," I grinned and went through the door with my friends.

 "Actually, we wanna go play paintball with you, but I figured bruises wouldn't be that productive before your wedding, so... so... yeah."

 I flicked Nicks hair, laughing, he grabbed my wrist and pulled my fingers out of his hair. There was a very tall guy at the reception, but he had an exceptionally friendly smile. The dimples made him cute. 

 "Hey," he said. His voice sounded warm and not as dark and rough as I had expected. "Is anyone else in the arena?" Thomas asked and the guy nodded. "Yep. But they'll be right out. Five more minutes. There's a group back there looking for four more people." He pointed behind us. They were all guys. Great. 

 "You're goint to play with them." We had no objections, so just a few minutes later we were standing in the big arena with black lights, fiber optics and vests. The countdown started to count down and my vest turned green. Nick's Thomas's and Jack's was red. So we were adversaries. The one guy I was still on a team with was named Josh. I didn't know about the others. 

 As discussed, we all ran to our base first. The others seemed to play here more often and knew where it was, I just followed them. "Okay, I'd say we form a line so that they don't get on our side," said the one. 

"I've tried that many times. It won't work anyway," came another. "Yes." I confirmed and tried the fiber. "As soon as someone is game over and has to leave formation, everything is fucked. I say we encircle them. Our base doesn't matter. If someone is dead, he will grab someone else, should they besiege us there and then everyone else will come too and kill us. I say we go in teams of two."

 I shot a person who was already moving toward us. "I like that woman, Jaden," one of the guys laughed. "Are you still available?" I was about to say something when Jaden talked to me. 

 "No, she's not single. Her buddies were Nick Austin, Thomas Petrou and Jack Wright. And this is Soph. She's Ondreaz Lopez's girlfriend. For some time now and I doubt the relationship's over, what else would she be doing in LA, she lives in San Francisco."

 I looked at him a little stunned. "How do you know that?" He smiled slightly and shot as well. "My little sister shifts Sondroph and I get this more or less involuntarily," he explained. 

 "So what are you doing here in LA?" We slowly began to drift apart, I went with Jaden. I decided without further ado to tell him. Wordlessly I raised my hand and pointed to the ring. "I'm getting married," I added, and he smiled. "Congratulations", he smiled and at the same time we shot at two red vests.

 "Thank you very much," I returned and immediately I had to smile. "My sister will be happy. She's been speculating whether you're engaged or not." For a moment we were silent to move on, in a corner, which was safe, we started talking again. "Can I get some details? My sister will kill me if I tell her I met you and know nothing."

 So while we were making our way through the countless partitions with glowing patterns and shooting down enemies all the time, I told him about our engagement. 

 "Whoa, SOPH!" cried Nick in annoyance when I hit him with my laser beam for what felt like the thousandth time. Angered, he ran towards me, he could not shoot yet because of my hit. I wriggled my way between the obstacles and always shot straight in time to avoid getting hit. 

 "Now I've got you!" Suddenly he appeared in front of me. His teeth were gleaming in the black light as he began to grin. There was no way out, because my back was against a wall. I had lost Jaden.