Chapter 46. "Did you see the article?

Today was April 19th. So brother - and - sister - was day, like every third Sunday of the month. Plus, today was Matt's 21 st birthday. It was the first day in weeks I wasn't gonna spend with Amy, not at all. Normally I was with her at least three hours a day since she hurt herself even more often.

 Her depression had gotten worse. With every comment a little bit. And there were many. She hardly ever went out, just to college in the morning and home in the afternoon. Most of her life took place in her room. She did very little talking, mostly I just kept her company so she wouldn't be so alone.

It just didn't get any better. There were more and more cuts that adorned her pale skin, each time she looked at me apologetically, told me that she was sorry and that she tried not to do it anymore. And every attempt failed. She did not want to go to a psychologist because she was uncomfortable. She wanted to handle it herself. 

 And the headlines about yours truly didn't diminish as I had hoped. No, they were more and more. On Twitter, the annoying pants thing came up again. Yes, I didn't wear skirts or dresses, I had made that clear several times, but the fans seemed to be unhappy with it. And of course the thing in the restaurant had also caused a lot of excitement. I was still in contact with Emma, she was a truly nice girl who just needed someone.

"So, big boy, what are you up to?"I asked my brother and looked up at him. "Bowling?" I nodded with a sigh. I was really bad at bowling. "Just kidding, sis. I know you don't like it. How about go-carting?"

 I liked that better. "Let's go." I laughed and clapped my hands motivated. I quickly got my suit out of the closet and my helmet, stuffed it into a big Nike sports bag and went back to the living room where I waited for Matt, who came shortly after me. Together we took the elevator to the parking garage and got into my car, because it was his birthday I drove and he was allowed to sit back. There was a pretty cool go-kart track outside of San Francisco, about an hour drive. 

 We were just standing at the last traffic light, which kept the intersection we were about to cross to get to the more remote streets in order, when another sports car stopped next to me. The driver lowered the window and looked over at me. I saw what he wanted. A race. So I rolled down my window as well and looked at him mockingly. He seemed a little surprised when he saw me - a girl - at the wheel, but he caught himself right away. "Fancy a race?" He revved up his engine, his buddy next to him laughing. 

 I looked over at Matt, who seemed to be thrilled. Nobody was driving on these roads anyway, so the danger of this illegal game would be very small. Of course I was aware of the legal situation - after all I was studying law - but I was still young and stupid in some cases obviously reckless. 

 "Sure." I replied and took off my sunglasses. "We need another mission," I added. The boy grinned. "And what are you thinking about, sweetie?" My eyebrow went up. "If you lose, we can write losers on your body as often as we want." They agreed. "And if you lose, I can shave your hair."

 I swallowed. Not my hair! "Perfect. Green lights up." The light was on and I stepped on the gas pedal while I looked at the guys. Laughing, I accelerated even faster, the guys' car followed me right away. I stepped on the gas pedal, but my foot on the brake pedal was already ready for the first curve that was about to come. I knew the track by heart. In a moment there would be a left turn, rather big one, then a right turn and it would be pretty rough. I took the first corner at almost the same speed, I braked a bit to avoid losing control, the other car came closer and was almost beside me. The engine of them was visibly better, the model newer, overhauled. Actually I didn't have a chance and I almost gave up. But then I remembered what I had done. I was not allowed to lose my hair, it just did not work.