Chapter 35: „get your fucking ass over here"

A few moth later:
Soph's POV:

Thanks to my very strict study plan I managed to study for all exams and pass them easily.  I would get the results soon.  My parents had allowed me to quit my music studies and they would finance the other one anyway.  That was exactly what I had done and that was also the only thing we had talked about.    

Neither the baby, nor my reaction to it, had appealed to them and I was relieved about that.  Because I would not have had the strength for that.

Meanwhile I was working as a waitress in a restaurant here in San Francisco, sometimes my shift fell on Ben's, who started there a month after me.  My tips were more than adequate.  There were some regular customers who immediately gave me a friendly welcome and always paid properly.    

I just came home from a shift.  My bag kept banging against my leg and a tip of the package inside kept poking into my thigh.  I had promised Bono, my boss, I would open it at home first.  Because today was no ordinary day, no.  It was my birthday.  Hallelujah!  I wasn't really impressed because the boys' tour was extended and even though they were in America, they wouldn't come for a few days.    

More hours without Ondre.  I was now just outside our apartment complex when my mobile rang.  Matt's contact appeared on the screen and I answered it.  "What's up?" I asked, a bit annoyed because some businessman had just almost run me down.  Everyone thought they were better than me.    

"Can you pick up a bag of frozen pizza on your way back, please?" he asked and I sighed. "Do you have to?" I replied irritated.  "Please?", he begged and I nodded.  "Yes, whatever," I sighed and turned on my heel to go to the next supermarket.  There I ran to the fridge and took out Matt's favourite pizza.  At the checkout counter I met Magda.   

 She'd been working here for...  ...forever.  Even when I was very little, my parents, or rather my nannies, had always shopped here and that's why I had known Magda all my life.    

"Hey, Soph," she smiled nicely and scanned the pizza.  "Hello, Magda," I smiled back and took my Black Card out of my pocket.  "How's the birthday girl?"  As she withdrew the money, I shrugged my shoulders.  "Oh, it's okay.  Thanks for asking.  How are you?"  She sighed slightly.  "Sluggish as ever," she replied and I nodded.  Yes, she'd never had it easy before.  "But since you're here, I might as well give you your present."  Surprised, I looked at her.  "You don't need to get me anything, you know that."    

She just waved and handed me the card with a parcel.  I quickly pulled the paper and a whole box of my favourite gum came out.  "Where did you get that?  They don't even make them anymore."  She smiled at me.  "When I heard they were discontinuing production, I bought some in stock because I know how you like them."  I bent over the counter and hugged her. "Thanks, Magda. That's great."  I quickly gave her a kiss on the cheek, then I left the shop.     

 In the lobby I went to pick up the mail, which of course Matt hadn't done yet - that would be something...  - which is why I was pretty loaded right then.  Because in addition to the normal amount of letters, two packages had been delivered today.    I quickly took the elevator up all the floors and came to a stop in the penthouse.  I dug out my front door key and opened the door.  Why hadn't Matt pulled up the shutters yet?  Because I was too lazy to do so, I just threw my bag on the sofa in the dark and marched into the kitchen.  "Matt?" I yelled.  No answer.  I slammed the freezer door in my face.    

"Matt, damn it, you make me go shopping for you on my fucking birthday and you don't show up?  Get your fucking ass over here!" I yelled, not even sure he was even here.  I opened the door to my room, it was dark here too.  But I had pulled the shutters up this morning...   

 Annoyed, I turned on the light.  But I was not alone in my room.  "You're pretty pissed off for getting a surprise gift on your fucking birthday..."

    "Ondre!" I screamed and ran towards him, and he spread his arms.  He caught me loose and spun me around.  As he put me down, we looked each other in the eyes.  How much I had missed his eyes.  How much I missed him.    

 At the same moment that I stood on tiptoe, he lowered his head and our lips met again after endless months. These fireworks into my body when he touched me erupted a thousand times stronger than ever before. I simply forgot everything around me, there was only him.

 Only after many wonderful minutes we separated from each other and looked at each other. Neither of us really knew what to say, so we kept silent and just looked each other in the eyes. I lost myself completely to them. "What are you doing here?" I finally said. "So... um, hey. I missed you, best kiss ever, what are you doing here?" I missed you. Best kiss ever. What are you doing here? Did I seriously just say that? 

 "You got me talking crazy," I wailed and pulled my eyebrows together. "I think that's incredibly sweet. "And hi. And I think you're incredibly and definitely. And I've been bugging Manuel until he's cancelled the last appointment so I can come over in time for your birthday," he replied with a smile.

 I walked even closer to him and laid my head on his shoulder. "I think those were the worst three months of my life," I sighed and I felt him nod. "I think so, too. But we actually managed to talk on the phone every day." Now I nodded. "Ehm, Soph?" he asked and I looked up at him. "I'm a little thirsty," he said embarrassed and scratched the back of his head. He had probably been standing here for ages and hadn't been able to go into the kitchen because I could come any moment. 

 Nodding, I took his hand and stepped out of my room. What I saw there was just beyond comprehension...