Chapter 29: "I owe you"

Soph POV: 

*Flashback* 

My ringtone interrupted our conversation and I took a quick look at the display. Mom. "Excuse me for a minute," I whispered and disappeared into the kitchen, where I slid the green phone in the middle of the phone. "Sophia Taylor here. Hello?' I asked, out of habit. "Hey honey, it's me," I heard my mother's powerful voice. She tried to sound pleased. "Oh, hey." I smiled and sat down on the counter. 

 "Soph, you know we love you, right?" She left me no time to answer. But maybe that wasn't such a bad thing, because I should've thought about that first. "And it really hurts us, although we did get an urgent call. "Your dad and I have to go to Africa. A disease is breaking out there and they need as many helping hands as they can. I already have some clients there that I need to represent. We have no choice. I'm sorry," my mother said  distressed.

 I had expected it, it was nothing new. But I had hoped that they would at least tell me personally. Is that why they had sent me away for another week? So I wouldn't be around when they left San Francisco? If they had to say goodbye before they disappeared for a year or more? "Darling?" she asked somewhat impatiently. The gloom had not lasted very long. "Uh, yes, I thought so."

 "Shall we try to postpone it?" As if she would. "No, no, that's okay, really." I said quickly. "Are you all right? Are you sure you're okay with it?" I sighed, what a stupid question. "I'm used to it, don't worry about me." 

 My mother thought for a moment, then she started again. "I'm afraid we'll be gone before you get back," she mumbled. So I had been right. We wouldn't see each other again until they disappeared and left Matt and me behind again. "Oh, uh, yeah... It's a shame, but it can't be helped. Why so soon?" Actually, I didn't want to know.

 "Sophia, this disease spreads so fast. The situation has been critical for years, but now everything is going out of control. We can't wait any longer. We must act now or it'll be too late, darling, do you understand?" 

 Although she did not see it, I nodded. That was the lawyer talking, tough as nails and not beat around the bush. "Yes, that's understandable," I sighed and jumped off the counter. "I'm glad you understand," she said, and I nodded again. "Oh, darling, there's one more thing. I'm pregnant." Perplexed, I held my breath and stared angrily at a spot on the wall. Tough as nails, like I said. "This is probably a bit sudden, but that's the way it is."

 Was she even happy? That I was not enthusiastic was understandable, but her voice still sounded as emotionless as before. Not normal... 

 I clenched my free hand to my fist and loosened it again. The words of my coach shot me in the head. "Keep control, you are stronger than your anger." I took a deep breath. "The problem is, I can't possibly take care of a child here. So you're gonna take care of it." 

It took me a moment to realize what she wanted me to do. Did she really say that? Did she really want to hold her child in my arms as if it were one of the many gifts? She just couldn't mean it. 

 But the more I thought about it, the more I realized she wasn't kidding. That she was serious. That she was actually gonna leave me her child. How would it come to me? Sent in a package? From Anfrika to SFO with a few bottles of milk, which it would be best to give to itself? Hoping it would die along the way?

My parents - and especially my mother - had already taken some liberties, but that went beyond all limits. That made everything collapse, the ruins fall. "Go to hell," I hissed and hung up. Now it was impossible for me to control my anger and I threw my cell phone on the floor. With tears in my eyes, I stormed out of the kitchen and then out of the suite. 

 *Flashback over* 

After I told Tony everything, he sighed. "This ...  sucks," he said, and I laughed briefly. "Yeah." The storm over our heads had gotten worse and my hair was whipping in my face, the rain was like little stitches on my skin. "You know what bothers me most?" I asked and he looked at me expectantly. 

 "That they have another child, even though they already have two at home for whom they were never there. And then she seriously expects me to make a mistake. I mean, hello? I have two courses of study to deal with and she thinks I have time for a baby they don't have time for."

Tony nodded. "This is really bad." Yes, it was. "I'm gonna call Matt," I sighed, and just a second later, I let my head down. "But before I do, I think I'm gonna have to buy a new phone." I raised my eyebrows and lowered them again. "Fuck!" 

Tony stood up and gave me his hand. "Thank you, Tony." Poor guy froze to death because he sat up here for an hour in this filthy weather listening to my problems that could hardly interest him, considering we'd only known each other a few days. "I owe you," I said, and I kissed him on the cheek.

 I burst back into the suite soaking wet and all eyes were on me. "What happened to you?" Ondre asked and put down the Iphone he had just been using to make a call. "And where is your phone? I've tried calling you a thousand times." I point to the coffee table. He opened his eyes. "Long story, I'll tell you later. Can I call my brother?" I wiped the subject of the phone off the table and he handed me his. "Sure." 

 I disappeared into his room and dialed my brother's number. We had a lot to talk about.