chapter 5

AS soon as the office closed,she went to Claire's house.

Claire stood at the crying of the alarm bell. She opened the door and saw Eunice in her office clothes. "Hey you" she let her in. "Soo... How was work today?" She asked excitedly.

"I saw Jimmy"

"You saw... Who?!" Claire sat up.

"Exactly what I thought" Eunice sat down.

"Wait. After three years of no show up,he just showed up like this?" Claire was completely surprised.

"He works there" Eunice said precisely.

"I don't get Eunice. Explain"

"I was led to my office through an elevator and as soon as I stepped out of the elevator,I saw him" she explained.

"Are you sure you saw him?"

"I saw him Claire. He was talking to the boss in his office. I know what I'm saying" she stood up.

"So... You're gonna quit?" Claire asked.

"Absolutely. I'm not taking any chances" she placed both hands on her hair, showing all signs of being clearly disturbed.

"But you just got the job" Claire protested.

"I don't care Claire" she took a cup of water and drank all of it in haste.

Claire saw what the sight of Jimmy had clearly done to her friend,she pitied Eunice. "Don't let Jim get the best of you"

"What's the meaning of... What do you mean by that?" Eunice said disturbed.

"Sit Eunice" Claire urged.

"Sit? I'm in a situation where my past has caught up with me Claire,my horrible past! What do you know?!" Eunice yelled.

"This is exactly what Jimmy wants. He wants you to be extremely nervous. Sit Eunice" Claire said.

Claire was right, Eunice thought,she was really nervous now. She sat as Claire instructed and tried comporting herself.

"Now,you go home, freshen up and go to work tomorrow to show Jimmy what you're made of" Claire advised.

On reaching home, Eunice was still badly troubled as she paced the parlour.

On hearing a knock on her door,she opened it.

It was uncle Gilbert.

"Oh uncle" she was so glad he came.

"I've been informed about everything. Claire told me" uncle Gilbert approached restless Eunice "what's wrong Eunice? You're not showing me the vibrant and energetic Eunice again,I was so hurt when Claire told me you trembled seeing Jimmy" he asked worriedly.

"Uncle I wanna quit. I can't continue this job,I can't anymore,I can't..."

"Listen Eunice,listen..."

She had promised herself she won't cry anymore because of Jimmy three years ago,but now she was in tears. She felt foolish.

"I can't Gilbert. Seeing Jimmy to me is like a horrible past I don't want to re...mem...ber" she wailed.

"Look dear. It hasn't been easy for anyone,the issue has affected us also"

"That's why I want to quit. I'll go there tomorrow with a resignation letter" she promised.

"...but you just got the job! You won't quit because of Jimmy now,will you? You won't sacrifice all your happiness because of him,you won't show him he won,will you?" He asked.

She was quiet.

"Look at you Eunice. I know in the inside you're still strong. I trust you Eunice. Please,don't quit your job. I'm not saying it's because of Jimmy,but it'll be hard to get another one" Gilbert said.

She was calm now.

"It's not easy Gilbert" she sobbed.

"I know...I know... Not for me,not for anyone. But,you have to be strong. You're not the one that has to be trembling seeing Jimmy,it's the other way around. 'cos he's the one that offended you" Gilbert said, putting sense into Eunice's head "so you won't quit the job right?" He concluded.

"I'm sorry Gilbert. I was being hysteric. I promise I won't quit the job" she promised.

"That's my girl" he hugged her.