chapter 10

SHE kept on smiling at work till she got home and even after she got home. The idea of them wanting to kiss kept creeping in her head.

Why did he hurt me? Surely there must be something to it,she thought,and that she must find.

He looked pretty genuine and innocent in the office. So why did he deceive her in the first place? She was still thinking. Or wait! Is he still deceiving me? Was that romantic minute just an act? Was he pretending to kiss me?

Her anger grew in rage. What a fool  I was! He's deceiving me!

The following week, she walked to his office briskly. She wanted to show him what it meant to be taking advantage of. They had an urgent meeting and that was what prompted her going to his office. She entered inside meaning to lash out words of hatred at him but he wasn't in.

She rummaged his table, waiting for him. She opened drawers and peeped into things until she saw a pamphlet,on it read thus; My handbook. She grew with excitement to know what was inside. She quickly opened a number of pages and suddenly saw her picture. She remembered the picture so well,that was her first date picture. She got confused and searched on.

She saw their love letters,her valentine gift to him and many others. Why would he keep all this? She taught. Her hands were trembling and suddenly their engagement ring,there it was.

She fell silent,not that she was talking before but you could feel the dead silence in her.

Just then there was a noise at the door, Jimmy came in. He was surprised to see Eunice sitting on his office armchair. "Hey"

"So you kept this?" She smiled at him. Jimmy was about asking what she was talking about when he saw the pictures, envelopes and gifts. The ring was on her hand.

"I can't throw them away" he approached her.

She felt her heart leap inside her. So,after all he still loved her,she was all along being wrong about him. " 'cos you can't keep yourself to stop thinking about me?" She dropped the ring.

"How can I?"

"Then why did you leave me on our wedding day?" She said still smiling.

"You won't understand"

"Make me" she left the sit.

"I can't"

"What do you mean you can't?" The smile vanished.

"How did you find 'em? I'm sure I kept them safely inside the dra--" he walked passed her to the table, trying to act smart.

"No no no. I'm tired of this Jim. Anytime I try to listen to what you have to say,you just find another thing to bring in" she held him.

"I just can't Eunice. I can't" he said.

"You can't what?"

"I..." He kissed her with full force. She quickly and surprisingly withdrew.

"What are you doing?" She said leaving.

"Eunice...! Eunice...!"

She shut the door behind her and left,not left his office,but left the office. She left for Claire's.