chapter 26

IT was a joyful feast, with family relations all gathered at the dining table, filled with all varieties of food. From first course to the last. It was a buffet to say the least. Even Mr Leo, Eunice's cousin, and his wife were present. Each asking Eunice how she was doing as they gathered the table. Mr Brett, Eunice's father, had really done a great job preparing the food.

Naturally, it was nanny Rose, the cook, that steamed the food last night and prepared the spices early this morning, while Mr Brett helped in putting everything in order.

Nanny Rose was welcomed to dine with them. She was so excited seeing Eunice after so many years and above all seeing her very happy.

"Where's uncle Gilbert?" Eunice noticed that the wingman hadn't arrived.

Everyone murmured amongst themselves concerning Eunice's question. "Uhm... he'll soon arrive" Mr Brett said.

"Of course no one can start eating without me" Uncle Gilbert suddenly arrived.

"Oh uncle Gilbert nice to see you" everyone rejoiced on seeing him.

"Dad thanks for this great surprise" Eunice was so happy.

"Oh that's not all my dear. I prepared your favorite" he opened a dish.

"Chocolate cake!" Eunice exclaimed in joy. "Thanks dad" she said delightfully. "You're welcome honey" he replied.

"Awwwwwn" they all awed.

"We should be doing this everyday" Leo's wife said scooping a slice of chocolate cake into her mouth and everyone laughed together. There were talking and chattering everywhere around the dining as everyone had something to say, not forgetting that uncle Gilbert always cheered them up with his newly found jokes.

Though she prayed today would never end, it was past ten now and Eunice was ready to go home.

They bade her; "good bye", each hugging and pecking her.

"Bye dad" she said as her father escorted her to her vehicle. "Take good care of yourself" he rested his arm on her shoulder fondly and she let a smile on her face. "That's what your mother wants" he added and they hugged hard. Mr Brett eventually let her go. "Bye dad" she repeated again and entered her car.

She honked her horn steadily as she exited the compound, little Anna and the five sons crying and following the car's bump smoke.

She really enjoyed her time with them and would never forget it. Looking at the empty plastic plate and bag she used in bringing the muffins, she smiled.

Just then, her phone untop the plastic bag rang. She looked very well at the caller, it was Jim. With a huge sigh, she hung up.

Jimmy won't spoil my mood today. She drove home.