chapter 24

SHE went home that day sobbing. She slumped on a couch and wept. Of course crying won't do any good but she cried. Claire came in.

"Are you okay Eunice?"

"I'm not, nothing is okay"

"Is it Jimmy again?"

"I...he doesn't love me anymore" she said whimpering. Claire fell silent for a while, then said; "why do you care?" She asked, patting her.

Eunice eventually stopped weeping and said; "I had this big quarrel with Delilah, his wife, and the next day he came to my office scowling at me. I hit him and did all sort of things and he took me into his arms and-- I asked him later on if he did still love me..." She broke off.

"...and what did he say? No?" Claire asked.

"No. He said nothing, he doesn't love me anymore Claire" she held Claire saying.

"...and you do?" She felt pity for her.

"I don't know anymore, it's in the middle. I hate him and love him" she wiped her tears.

"You need to make a decision for yourself Eunice. To be happy or not to be" Claire sighed and continued; "either to stay and keep suffering like this all in the name of Goddamn love or leave Jimmy and his doings and start all over again" Claire simply said.

That was a brilliant idea but then Delilah.

"I can't Claire. I have to find out something first" Eunice said.

"Find out what? Hasn't Jimmy hurt you enough?"

"No, it's not Jimmy, it's Delilah"

"Delilah? His wife?"

"Yeah..."

"About that fight you had with her, what flared up?" Claire asked.

"My name, it was my name"

"Excuse me, what?"

"I mean, she asked if my name was Ms Brett Eunice and I told her yes and that was it. Suddenly, she charged, her mood, everything" Eunice couldn't describe it; "The mistake I made was not to ask her how or where she knew my name" Eunice said.

"So you're telling me she took up a fight just because of your name?"

"I think so"

"Then she must know you." Claire concluded. "So you want to know how she knew your name?"

"Exactly Claire"

"But even if she knows your name why must she shout so rudely at you?"

"That's my point Claire"

"I don't see sense in this Eunice. Then why didn't you ask Jimmy since you spoke with him today? He must know something about that Delilah" she said.

Eunice didn't want to tell Claire that she kissed Jimmy in her office and they stayed together for an hour. It was stupid and she regretted doing it.

Claire laughed, utterly confused; "I myself thinks Jimmy's marriage with Delilah is a charade"