chapter 29

EUNICE pinched herself to recollect if she was only dreaming but the pain from the pinch proved to her it was real.

"Why do you believe me?" She strongly said.

"I do and that's all. Please leave my office" he turned his strong back at her.

"But I could easily kill her and deny the act, and you'll still believe me?" She quickly realized what she was saying; am I mad?! He'd call the police and say I've confessed and that would be the end of it! "I don't mean to say I don't appreciate the fact that you believe me. I do. But, why did you believe me so easily?" She approached him. She wasn't shivering anymore, but the sweat and discomfort was still visible.

"Just leave my office. Okay?" he said.

Eunice pitied his condition and said; "I'm sorry... For your loss" and with that, left.

She couldn't feel comfortable in her office. The sight of the blood, the broken mirror, Delilah's death- she pitied Jimmy and for him to have believed her like that. She felt unease, she supposed to be there sympathizing with him, if not as a friend then as her boss.

She stood, then sat again. She remembered his state before she left. He is down, he doesn't need any disturbance, she thought.

She kept on touching the mouse and folding papers because she had nothing doing. How was Jimmy doing now?

She felt really sorry for him. He hasn't called for her or showed up. She should see how he's doing.

And with that, she walked directly to his office, all eyes on her. They all hadn't quickly forgotten the way the police harassed her in her office. She didn't mind, she walked to his office.

He didn't even notice her when she came in. It seemed he was troubled not for Delilah's death yesterday but for another issue.

She found a sit close by and sat, watching him. "I'm so sorry Jim" she only said.

"May her soul rest in peace" he mumbled.

"At...at what time did this all happen?"

"Normally, she drops my food by eight in the morning, but I started inhaling the food smell by quarter to nine" he rubbed his face, utterly troubled.

Eunice watched him closely. She was at her father's house at these times it wasn't until 10pm she left.

"I'm sorry again" she sympathized.

"...and where were you yesterday?" He tried bringing up another topic.

"At my father's" she said and sat up saying; "why did you believe me Jimmy?"

"Basically, I didn't think you'll do this but your absence yesterday was obvious. I just...I didn't think this through. I'm sorry" he sat up too.

"It's okay" she was relieved to know then sighed, remembering; "...and I was about to ask Delilah how she knew my name"

It was as if a scorpion bit Jimmy from where he was sitting; "wait-- what did you say?" He pointed at her.

"Oh, uhm it's nothing. She must've known me somewhere that's why she acted weird when she knew I was Ms Eunice Brett" she said.

"That's it!" He suddenly screamed "that's it! That's why she killed her!" He said.

"Excuse you?" Eunice was confused.

"My phone..." He suddenly scrambled for it. Eunice stood quietly and watched.

He paced impatiently around his table as the phone rang, then it connected.

"What do you want?" A voice said faintly from the other end.

"You killed her. I know it's you" he spat out.

Who was Jimmy talking to so assurringly? Eunice kept following him with her eyes as he kept on pacing the office.

It was a laugh that erupted from the other end of the phone.

"You were scared she was going to tell Eunice everything now but somehow you crept into this building and you killed her! You killed the innocent girl!" He roared. Eunice was flabbergasted.

"I do not know what you're talking about, but just know that if you're not very careful she'll die" the voice said.

"Keep shut you bitch! You want to deny it?! Oh my! She must have been trying to save her life, that must have been what caused the food spillage" he motioned to the rug as if the one on the phone was right in front of him. "...and then, maybe she was shouting for help and you slid her to the restroom" he pointed at the restroom, still demonstrating over the phone.

Then, he held his head "... Goddamm you! And then you smacked her head on the mirror-"

"Listen, I don't know if you just came of the asylum or something, just be careful with the way you talk to me or else"

"Or else what?! Or else what?!! I did everything you said, I did all and...and...you should have just killed me and left her! She didn't do you anything!" He shouted at the top of his voice.

"You can scream all you want but I didn't do anything"

"You liar!"

"And if you're not careful this time and put yourself together" there was a pause, then the  person continued; "...I might do something" and that was it, the person hung up.