chapter 28

"killed?! What do you mean Delilah was killed?" It was all still like a dream to her.

"I came in to as usual do my office work and a minute later I noticed a stinky smell in my office, I looked everywhere till I found my meal on the rug over there" he pointed; "I had a bad feeling about this. What was my lunch, Delilah always brought to work for me since my waist incident, doing scattered on the rug?" he continued; "I knew this meant one thing. Danger. 'cos she wouldn't step on the food by mistake and leave it there and nobody would accidentally pour my food on the rug" he sighed.

"Do you mean someone killed her?" Eunice looked at him intensely.

He went on thus; "I packed the food from the rug and went inside the restroom to wash my hands still wondering what happened and then--"

"...and then what?" Eunice said already getting scared.

"And then I saw her slumped on the washing basin. Dead" he summarized.

She still didn't believe and motioned to enter inside the restroom.

"Yeah, you can. Just keep your hands off anything" he said.

She went inside. The mirror at the top front of the ceramic basin was broken reflecting Eunice's face eight times. The toilet was neat and looked untouched so was the floor and everything until she saw the ceramic washing basin. It cracked at the edge slightly and blood was sprayed all over it.

She shook.

So it was real? Then she recovered. It all happened yesterday, she had to clean herself from this mess or else she'll be sentenced guilty.

She can't go to prison. Not now. Not in this state of mind. Her family, her father. No!

She tried to stop herself from shivering as she stepped out of the restroom. Looking at Jimmy in shock she said frighteningly; "I didn't do it". Jimmy looked at her closely and noticed she was shaking as hell.

He came forward and held her shoulders trying to stop her from shaking. "I didn't kill her. I didn't do it" she was in tears now. He was stunned. "I swear I didn't touch her. I admit I do dislike her but I didn't do anything" She was sweating profusely now.

"I believe you" he simply said.

She stood shocked; "you do?"

"Yes" and with that, the police men came in.

"Sorry sir, she was behaving stubborn and we couldn't get her with us" one of them said briefly.

Eunice knew her life was in stake. Jimmy would gladly give her to them without thinking twice, he only said what he said earlier to try and ease her fear. She looked at him frightened. But then, he held her. "Leave. You don't need to take her anymore" he simply said in his tired state.

It seemed he did alot yesterday.

"Sir?"

"I said you can go, I no more suspect her" he added.

"But sir, we have to investigate the issue sir. She wasn't around yesterday when the act happened, it may be she killed her and imme--"

"Yeah, whatever. I drop the case" Jim waved his left hand motioning the officers not to say anymore and using his right hand to hold Eunice firmly.

Then the supervisor stepped forward obviously tired of the nonsense; "Mr Ralph it's our duty to interrogate a suspect once we-" but Jim cut in rapidly "I'm the one that's paying you to do the job and I said go! She's no more a suspect" he grew fed up.

"If you say so" the supervisor said and they all left.

That second, Jimmy let go of her.