chapter 2

CLAIRE did her possible best to make sure the party was a bomb.

She knew Eunice was expecting a party today,but she didn't want Eunice to know she had a bigger surprise for her.

Eunice had woken up early this morning to get some few things for her party. She wasn't sure how she was going to pull this off but everyone were looking forward to this party. So wether or not she liked it, she had to prepare. On reaching home,she heard a; "surprise!" All her loads fell to the floor. "Claire!" She couldn't believe her eyes. All her family members were present; uncle Gilbert, little Anna,Aunt Mona, everyone.

"Come on!" Claire said to a surprised Eunice.

Eunice was so happy and surprised. She dragged Claire to a far corner and asked her; "how did you manage to pull this off?"

"When you went home last night,I started my little work. You're family were very happy with the surprise and we pulled it off. Oh,come on it's me Eunice!" Claire smiled. Eunice smiled back with joy. She was so happy she had an understanding and darling friend.

"A toast" Uncle Gilbert summoned everyone. "On this day, we're celebrating our dearest daughter's new job. Eunice we are proud of you. You've proven to us that no matter any situation,you can still persevere and be constant. You are strong my dear and we all are proud of you. Congratulations"

"Congratulations dear" everyone said.

"A toast!" Uncle Gilbert finally said and glass chimed.

Everyone were happy.

Eunice had really persevered,it wasn't easy at all. After what Jimmy had done to her,no woman was supposed to survive that. She taught back.

"Cheers..." Uncle Gilbert interrupted her thinking.

Raising his glass to hers,she smiled and returned the favor.

"What's it dear? Any problem?" He asked noticing her mood.

"I'm fine Gilbert" she smiled.

"It's okay Eunice" he sighed feeling her pain. "you're not the only lady whose wedding has been damaged by her groom. You've shown us the real Eunice and that you can take care of yourself come rainfall,come sunshine" he sympathized with her.

"Thanks Gilbert" she was glad of his confidence in her. Trying hard not to cry,she suffocated.

"Oh no dear. Don't show me that pity face. Come on smile for Gilbert and shame Jimmy"

Eunice tried to smile but the hot tears came in full force. Tears she'd been denying herself from crying for three years.

"He hurt me uncle. He did. Jim--"

"That's what he wants. Yes,Jimmy wants to see you hurt and now you've gotta prove to him and every bastard like him that you're strong and can conquer any pain" Gilbert said to crying Eunice. "You don't want your Aunt or little Anna to see you crying,do you now?" He continued.

She smiled. Eunice respected uncle Gilbert most especially for his way of enticing people and his reliable sense of humor.

Though,he was an advanced man in his late 50's,you could still see that handsome look of when he was a teen through his hairy face. He had dark hair with a little trace of white.

He replaced her heart as a mother awkwardly and a father also to her and everyone.

Her Aunt,Aunt Mona would have married him adding to her husband if not that she was a very religious woman.

His relationship with the family was so deep. Eunice prayed inwardly that when she's old and does get married,her life partner in his old age would be just like Gilbert. In and out.

The party was something else and made Eunice very tired. She woke up late the next morning and got ready immediately for her new job.