chapter 38

"I gave you a sign... I wanted you to know"

"How?" Eunice asked, still enjoying his wet and dark hairy skin on her bosom.

"Telling you the date alone of when I got married to Delilah would have let you know something was wrong"

"I knew there was something fishy going on 'cos I never wanted to believe you had been cheating on me. That wasn't you"

"No. You still trusted me despite what I did to you and wanted to know what was going on"

Do I still trust him? "Jimmy, night has come and Claire isn't here yet"

"She'll come" his phone rang.

Stretching forward, Eunice helped him with it. Looking at the caller before passing his phone to him, it read "CLAIRE"

She felt goosebumps as he picked it; "yes..."

She didn't ever want to believe what Jimmy said but here he was speaking with her on the phone.

"What?! You'll do no such thing! Yeah?! Yeah?! I know she came... Look! I was forced to tell her.... No one forced you to kill Delilah.....please! No!---"

"Hello!.... Hello..." He dropped the phone; "She's coming".

Eunice trembled. She quickly picked up her clothes and put them on.

"We have to be ready" he approached her; "Eunice..."

She was halfway putting on her trousers as she sat dumbfounded on the bed. "Eunice you have to be strong for us" he held her.

"I'm afraid" she believed.

"Don't be. I'm here" he took her into his arms. "Now let's go check our traps".

He checked the ceiling, the pot and it's ingredients were burning fine, the recorder was untouched and ready for Claire to trigger it on. Everything looked perfect.

"Why didn't you tell me the truth from the very beginning?!" Eunice came yelling at him, Jimmy stood worried.

"I couldn't Eunice. I was trapped, I had to obey her instructions. If I tell you everything she'll kill you and if I show up on our wedding day, she'll kill you!" He tried explaining.

"You should have told me still!" She was so angry.

"Don't you see? I couldn't"

"If you loved me, you could have! I trusted you!"

"I couldn't! How would you possibly believe me? For crying out loud, she was your best friend!".

Just as if it seemed things were perfect, it all turned out bad. Eunice was furious and moving to the electronic fitted tile, still screaming at Jimmy. "I don't care! You failed me!"

"I couldn't tell you Eunice, you wouldn't have believed me and I didn't want you dead"

"But we promised never to lie to each other!" She cried out loud.

The tiles! Jimmy became alerted of Eunice's movement. "No, Eunice, be careful"

"I just can't believe you didn't open up to me! I trusted you! Like all this while all these things were happening under my nose?!"

"No the tile!" He tried warning her.

"You lied to me! You could've warned me or did something" she said pacing the parlour unaware of the tiles and Jimmy was profusely sweating.

"For crying out loud listen! The electronic tile!" He thundered and then she listened; "what?"

Boom! The light went out.

"Eunice?... Eunice?..."

No sound was heard.

"Eu..." And the light came on.

"One more step and this bullet shoves right into her brain" Claire ordered.