chapter 17

THE office finally closed and she left for Claire's house.

"Eunice! What's wrong?!" Claire rushed her in. She was weeping profusely.

"Jimmy... Jimmy" she sobbed. "Jimmy is married" she finally said betwixt tears.

"What?! He's married?!"

"He got married the same year we were supposed to get married and one...one... week after my supposed wedding" she wailed.

"Take it easy Eunice. It's not the end of the world"

Eunice continued; "do you know Jimmy had been using me for that cheap slot? I learned that he was having an unknown affair at my back!" She said. "...that could only account for him getting married the next week after destroying mine" the tears were uncontrollable.

"Eunice! It's not the end of the world"

"It is! It is Claire! As a matter of fact, it is the end of the world!" She screamed throwing things away.

"You're only jealous Eunice. This doesn't change the fact that you hated him right from the beginning" Claire patted her tenderly, she really pitied Eunice.

"I'm not jealous. I'm angry" she wept.

"You are,you still have some unknown inside feelings for him" she said.

Eunice's weeping couldn't give her a chance to talk.

"You've only hated him since he left on your wedding day,so why should you be furious he's married if it's not because you're still in love?" Claire went on.

"I don't know if I'm in love with him,but even if I am I can never forgive him for what he's done to me" she cried out.

"I'm sorry Eunice" Claire sympathized.

She still cried at home,all night she cried,at work she cried, uncle Gilbert and Mr Brett had to visit her.

"...and that was when I found out he was married..." She narrated.

Uncle Gilbert and her father looked at one another and back at her.

"You're not saying anything" the tears came rushing back. There was nothing much either of them could say because all their sympathy were to no avail.

"It's okay kid. Everything's gonna be alright" uncle Gilbert patted her.