chapter 32

SHE shivered as she mounted the stairs one at a time.

She didn't want to believe what Jimmy said was true.

She finally reached the doorstep and shook as she rang the doorbell. She jerked her clothe right and made sure she looked clueless, then reached for the bell again.

Claire opened up.

"Eunice! You didn't tell me you were coming. Come in" she said cheerfully in her normal manner. Eunice walked in. "I must say you came at the right time. I was blending apples" she walked to the dining.

Eunice looked around like she was in the house for the very first time.

"Sit" Claire motioned her and placed two apple drinks on the table.

Eunice took one, she didn't care if it was poisoned, but it'd hurt deeply if there was. She hesitated, then took a sip.

"So how was work?" Claire said, smiling.

The smile seemed natural to Eunice "fine" she naturally said.

"Everything okay Eunice? You seem a little bit worried" Claire asked observing.

"No. Not at all" she sipped her drink again.

"How can you say that? You were almost arrested by the police. The death of Delilah and your alleged crime was all over the news" she sat upright.

"What do you want me to say?" Eunice asked in a still voice.

"I was really worried about you" Claire said.

Eunice only smiled.

"I hope you're alright now?" She added.

"Yeah, I am" Eunice smiled again as she replied.

"Are you hungry? I can get you a--"

"No, I'm okay. Just wanted to... You know... See you" she stood up.

"You're leaving?"

"Yeah. I have this--"

"So early?" Claire protested.

Jimmy was absolutely wrong, Eunice sighed. "I promise to see you later. I must attend to something" she felt stupid for believing Jimmy. Then Claire turned to see her off.

"Claire--" she abruptly said and walked close to her. "I love you. More than you can ever think"

"You don't need to tell me. I know"

"I'm just saying that..." She swallowed; "...is there anything you want to tell me?"

"I--"

"If there is, let me know. I totally trust you. Please don't hide anything from me. I will understand" she interrupted Claire.

Claire watched her briefly and observing said; "there's nothing I'll hide from you if I wanted to" and with that Eunice hugged her.