Chapter 5

One month later

"Guess who's working for Intelligence now as civilian techy?" Jay asks her an evening when they finally got home from their shifts. Both are drinking beer with an open box of pizza on the coffee table in front of them. It's Friday evening and neither is working the next day.

"Who?" Sienna asks

"You have to guess"

She chuckles, swallowing up the last drop of beer in her bottle.

"Can I have a clue at least?"

Jay smirks, "He served in Afghan with us, had a crush on you. Well, one of the many punks that had a crush on you."

Sienna beams brightly, there's only one guy that served with them that's smart enough to work as the tech guy for Intelligence and that's...

"Mouse?"

"Gotcha" Jay confirms.

"So he's earning legit now, good for him."

Jay chuckles, "He's going to want to see you. Beer tomorrow at Molly's?"

"Sounds good chuckle head, I miss that goofy face. Can I be serious for a minute?"

Jay sighs and chucks a fresh beer at her. He opens his own bottle and downs half of it in one gulp.

"Sure"

"Abby called me. She couldn't get a hold of you so she called me. Lord knows where she got my number but she did and she called – three times."

He chuckles into his bottle, "I'll take care of it."

"Why is she back in your life?" Sienna asks with a frown, "She's bad news Jay."

He scoffs, "She's just someone I shacked up with after our last tour. You know I hated being alone and she was there – available and easy."

Jay smirks in amusement as Sienna rolls her eyes. He laughs as the pillow she throws hit him right on the forehead.

"Jay, are you still married to her?"

"Of course not Si"

Sienna nods her head and smiles at him, "just talk to the chick and tell her to lose my number"

"Will do Fizzer, come on the pizza ain't going to eat itself."

**

Somewhere in the middle of the night in the far distance a phone rings, snapping Sienna out of the best dream she's had in a while. She groans loudly when she realizes it's her phone plugged in on her bedside table.

Her narrowed eyes scan over the caller ID, seeing it's the hospital. No wonder she got a wake-up call at 3am on her off-day.

"Doctor Roberts" She answers groggily, trying to wake herself up.

"It's Maggie, sorry to wake you up so early on your off-day. We have a trauma coming in; need your help with it."

"I'll be there in a minute" She disconnects the call. Sienna rushes out of bed, she dresses in jeans and the first shirt she found.

When she gets to the hospital in records time she's met with Maggie running up to her and Ethan Choi not far behind.

"Thank you for coming"

"Talk to me" She quickly throws on some scrubs and get ready to meet with the ambo.

"43-year-old shotgun to the shoulder; chest and abdomen"

Hours ticked by, and finally the surgery ended in success.

Sienna is brewing coffee when Ethan walks up to her.

"You want one?" She asks him. Upon his nod she pours two cups instead of one.

"I found out that the patient is a veteran – Navy. He's homeless, living on the streets, and got shot for it."

Sienna frowns as her heart falls to the pit of her stomach.

"Oh God"

Ethan looks pissed.

"You know we serve our country and then when we get home we're just trash. 40,056 vets come back from a tour without a family or a house."

Sienna frowns, "I know. I know, it's not fair"

He looks at her, "Have you ever gone to the support group for veterans?"

Sienna nods, "I have once. I uh, I know I suffer from PTSD but I can't bring myself to talk about Afghan."

He nods in understanding, "You know I was this close to also living on the streets after my last tour. I didn't have support from anyone. If it wasn't for this job, I would probably also be in an alley somewhere."

"You have me" She tells him with a small smile, "We can talk to each other if you want."

"Thanks Si. I'm going to take you up on that offer." He smiles, "I'm going home. I'll see you at Molly's tonight?"

"See you then"