Chapter 6

When Sienna gets home, Antonio and Jay are out on the tiny balcony drinking beers. Jay is the first one to notice her, "Where were you?"

"Work called for emergency surgery. I'm ready to sleep for a week"

She sits down next to Jay, smiling timidly at Antonio. They haven't had contact since their date a month ago. She believes it's because of work – she hopes it's because of work.

"Anything good?" Jay asks her watching in concern as her face falls.

"No. Army vet got shot in the alley where he lives. Surgery was a success but its touch and go."

Jay kisses her on the temple. "I'm sorry"

She inhales, "I'm going to sleep. I'll see you guys later."

**

"Is she okay?" Antonio asks as soon as Sienna is out of earshot.

Jay looks concerned, "The war is a sensitive subject for both of us. She helps me through PTSD more than I help her, which makes me a shitty friend but she's not fine. I don't think she'll ever be fine."

"What happened on that last tour? Why did she come back?"

Jay shakes his head, his expression suddenly hard. "She'll have to tell you herself."

He nods, "I think I messed that up. I haven't talked to her since our date last month."

Jay smirks as he finishes his beer. "She told me. Don't worry, she thinks it's because you're busy. But I swear to God Dawson, if you hurt her I'll end you."

"Copy that."

**

The camp is silent, except for the loud laughter of ten different people – all playing a game of football.

Being the only girl in a platoon of 31 soldiers and physicians, Sienna had to prove herself more than anyone else but after she had to save 8 terrorists by herself with a gun to her head, she found the respect she deserved from her fellow troopers.

"Come on Fizzer, you can do better than that!" Rick taunts. The Sergeant, along with the rest of his men, quickly found a soft spot for the blonde. They all think of her as a family – a daughter or a little sister. Some of them even have school-boy crushes on the surgeon.

"Nah man, she's good at fixing up people but she sucks at sports" Jay taunts, the smirk on his face wipes off when she chucks a ball to it. The rest of the guys laugh and continue playing ball.

"You all better sleep with one eye open tonight" Sienna murmurs with a laugh

Jay finds her four hours later with a photo in her hand. A small smile stretched across her face.

"Hey, ready to go to Molly's?"

Sienna nods and beckons for him to sit down on the bed. He stares at the photo of Sienna; him; Mouse and the rest of the platoon dressed in their gear. It was the day before everything turned to shit. He remembers that day – that picture – like it was yesterday. They were all tired and overworked but they had success. The terrorists were dead, all of them. None of them thought that there was a hidden group set to destroy the Americans.

"I loved that day – those moments when we had fun, when we played ball. I cherish those moments. There wasn't a lot of them."

Jay wraps his arm around her and plants a kiss on her forehead. "Come on, let's go to Molly's. Mouse can't wait to see you."

Sienna places the photo back in her drawer and grabs her purse. Together they drive off to the bar.

She finds Mouse alone at the bar trying to flirt with Gabby. Of course the paramedic doesn't fall for his advances.

Sienna smirks, amused as hell, as Mouse goes off to the next girl when Gabby walks off.

"What do you say you stop harassing poor girls and rather buy me a drink?" Sienna asks. The brunette girl sighs in relief and walks off. Mouse has a grin on his face.

He picks her up in a hug smiling brightly when she giggles.

"It's good to see your mousey-face" Sienna says when he drops her to her feet. Mouse smiles brightly, "It's good to see you too Fizz. You're looking hot as hell"

"You know you don't have a chance with me" She laughs, ruffling his hair.

Mouse shrugs, "I can always hope. Beer for you?"

"Please"

He hands her a bottle of ice-cold beer and together they join Jay; Erin and Antonio. Sienna is grateful Erin is also there. It's a complete sausage fest wherever she goes; it'd be nice to have a girl's company.

"So you know this knucklehead? The day he starts he hit on me" Erin smirks. Sienna laughs as they watch the boys have fun from the bar a few hours later.

"Mousey is more bark than bite."

Erin chuckles, "You all served together? You, Mouse, and Jay?"

"Yeah" Sienna takes a sip of her second beer for the night. "Mouse for two tours; Jay and I for 6"

Erin sighs, "Jay's a closed book. I think you're probably the only one who knows what's going on in his head. I want to be with him Si, more than anything but I can't be with a closed book"

Sienna sighs, "Afghanistan wasn't easy, for any of us. PTSD is a bitch. Jay experienced shit nobody should ever experience. Erin, he needs a good girl. He deserves it more than anyone I know. I know you're the girl he deserves. I'm begging you please don't give up on him."

Erin smiles, "I don't think I can. Speaking of good girls" The detective suddenly has a smirk on her face, "Antonio's a good guy who deserves a good girl. He's been beating himself up that he hasn't called but I think he's just a little scared."

"I like him" Sienna smiles, "I like him so much it scares me, which is weird. I'm never like this with men. I've had a lot of first dates which never leads to more. This is weird"

Erin smiles brightly, "there's no law against women asking guys out, you know?" Her grin brightens when she sees the smile on Sienna's face stretch bigger. "You know what, that's not a bad idea detective."

So the next day Antonio wakes up with a text from Sienna. It's vague but enough to make his heart race.

Meet me at Navy Pier; 3 pm.