Chapter 57

"What do we've got?" Sienna runs out to the ambulance bay, her two residents following closely behind her.

"Twelve year old GSW to the abdomen" The paramedic reads the stats of the boy while they get him into the ER

"Get him to 4" Sienna instructs and within a split second they get him to the room.

"Let's move him, on my count. One – two – three" They get him off the stretcher onto the hospital bed. "Get me a portable X-Ray" She demands.
"Right away doctor"

While she's busy treating him, Sharon walks in to the room.

"Doctor Roberts, can I have a word?"
"I'm a little busy here" She doesn't look up from trying to treat the boy. They are on their way to an OR, so she can remove the bullet but first she has to drain the blood and stop him from bleeding out on her table.

"I'm just going to say it, the police wants to detain the patient."

"Well they are going to have to wait, he's going with me to the OR right now."

Sharon sighs, "They want to keep him detained in the OR"

Sienna glances at Sharon, "No"

"Let's get him to an OR, Sharon, he's harmless at this moment. He's not being detained by handcuffs in my OR, I refuse, and I'm sure his mom would too." She tells the chief in passing. The woman sighs with a nod, "You go do your thing. I'll handle the police."

As they roll the boy out to the OR upstairs, two police officers she doesn't recognize stops her.

"This man is a criminal. He needs to be cuffed at all times with a police officer close by."

"I don't give a shit what he did. He's a patient – he is my patient, and no police officer will be in my OR." She pushes past him.

"Miss" The officer grabs her arm. Sienna looks at her fourth-year resident; "Benson, take him up and prep him for an abdominal surgery."

"Yes, doctor" The resident runs up with the patient.

"I'm a doctor, first of all, second of all, you don't make the rules here. This is my protocol, I'm in charge. Now I suggest you get your goons and wait in the waiting room because you're not going with me to that OR" She doesn't wait for a reply and is soon scrubbed in and ready to operate on the boy.

"Alright honey, I don't care what you did, but for now I'll protect you." She tells the 12-year-old boy and then cuts him open.

The boy manages to stay alive even though she almost lost him on the table twice. The bullet slashed through the liver and the boy's spine. He's likely to be paralysed.

The surgery ends in heartache for the trauma surgeon and her residents. She looks up at the nurse, "Please page Neuro to trauma room 4"

"Yes, doctor"

Sienna starts closing him, doing her best to lessen the trauma of this day with stitches and minimal scarring.

When Sienna gets him back to the trauma room, the police are in the waiting area, same as the boy's mom.
"You paged?" The Neurosurgeon walks in

"GSW to the liver and spine – bullet hit the thoracic and lumbar" She says looking at the little boy.

Doctor Gideon sighs, "I'll do an X-Ray, but it's likely he's paralysed."

"Thanks" She tells him and strokes over the boy's hair. He's just a kid, could he really have done such a terrible thing so the police had to shoot him?