Chapter 35

"Help" She hears screaming coming out of the hospital so she and April run out.

"Help me" The man swaggers, he's not much older than her and wearing only a white shirt with jeans.

"It's in the middle of the Chicago winter, and you're wearing a T-shirt. Let's get you inside, warm up."

He nods at April and the two girls get him inside. "I-I-I don't have medical insurance" He stammers as they get him to a trauma room.

"It's fine sir, we care for everyone." Sienna smiles

They get him fluids and warm him up with heating pads and blankets.

"I'm going to check on you shor-" Sienna cuts herself off when she sees the tattoo on his forearm. April frowns, confused but stays quiet. "Sir, are you military?"

He nods, his temperature is slowing down as he warms up, "Rangers"

April walks out and closes the door as soon as he said that.

She nods giving him a smile, "What battalion are you?"

"2nd" He whispers finally warmed up.

She smiles, "I was 3rd Battalion"

He finally looks her in the eye, "You were Army Ranger?"

"Yes sir, served for 6 tours"

"I beat you with two" He cracks a grin, "Look at you, you turned out to be a doctor and I'm.. I'm nothing."

Sienna frowns looking at him with glossy eyes, "You're not 'nothing'. You served this country, you're a hero. What's your name?"

"Jason McBride"

That name sounds so familiar, "I'm Sienna. You're going to fine Jason."

"Thank you."

**

"Sienna, this isn't a hotel, we need the room" Sharon tells her a few hours later. She's been monitoring the vet's progress all this time while he sleeps.

Sienna frowns, "I'm going to admit him"

"On what grounds? He's not sick, he needs to go home"

Sienna frowns, "He doesn't have a home Sharon. He's a veteran, and he doesn't have a home."

Sharon sighs, "He can stay for another hour, I'll call for a shelter."

The doctor nods her head giving Sharon a small smile of appreciation. "Thank you"

**

Sienna signs off for shift, but stays in Jason's room talking to him about the war.
"I don't feel so good" He complains a while later. He starts seizing a few seconds later. She calls a code blue. Along with Doris, they start treating him.

"Please let me die" He tells Sienna, grabbing her arm. She frowns, "No, you're going to be fine Jason."

"Let me die. I want to die" He whispers. His heart gives out, "No, No, Jason, Jason, stay with me."

His heart gives out while Sienna continues pleading to him, tears are threatening to pool over. Sienna starts doing compressions until her hair becomes wet with sweat but he's dead.

She wants to continue with the compressions but Doris grabs her waist gently, hugging her. "He came here to die."

Sienna frowns deeply, "T-time of death 22:54"

She storms out of the hospital, Sharon is on her way to go after her when Choi stops her wearing his plain clothes. He's also done with shift.

"I've got her"

He finds her in the back alley sitting against the wall crying. When she sees him she tries in a feeble attempt to wipe her tears.

He sits down next to her, "You okay?"

"He came here to die. He has no family; he didn't have a home. The hospital was his last resort. Why on earth aren't we honouring our vets – why is there so many homeless vets? People who risked their lives for this country and nobody even care. That's not right"

"I never wanted to talk about the Navy and what I've gone through, but a few weeks ago I've started talking to Doctor Charles, and it's really helping me right now."

Sienna shakes her head, wiping the tears from her cheek with the back of her hand, "I'll think about it"

"Okay" He whispers, "There's a Fallen Veteran charity I've joined – it helps families and veterans come to terms with what happened. We always need hands"

She nods, "I really want to help"

He nods, "Every Friday evening at 7"