Chapter 40

Hailey soon joins them in the waiting room. While Antonio goes to grab coffee Hailey turns to Sienna with a pondering sigh.

"Spit it out" Sienna chuckles, "Why all the sighs?"

Hailey sighs, "We don't know each other well but I like you and I know you're the only person Jay actually trusts. I like him Si, he's more than just a partner. I'm falling in love with him and I want him to lean on me – to trust me with his pain of the war, but he doesn't."

Sienna sighs, "Jay went through a lot in Afghanistan. He doesn't lean on too many people with that. Erin strung him along and for that I will never forgive her. He doesn't trust quickly but the way he's spoken of you and the fact that he trusted you enough to tell you about his platoon mean he cares. He never told Erin about that. You will need to be patient – really patient – with him."

The detective smiles, "Do I have the approval of the most important person in Jay's life?"

Sienna chuckles, "You do."

**

Antonio comes back with three cups of takeaway coffee for them and pecks Sienna's lips. He sits down next to her. "No news yet?"

"Not yet" Sienna leans her head against his shoulder as the three of them wait for the surgeon. When Doctor Pen comes to update them it's past midnight.

"The surgery took longer than I would have hoped. Because he postponed the surgery so many times it increased the risk of further damage."

"But?" Sienna asks, not beating around the bush.

"He's fine. He won't be able to work for a few months and he will need physical therapy but he'll be fine."

Sienna gives the orthopaedic surgeon a small smile as Hailey thanks him.

"You three can see him in a few"

Sienna smiles a bit when Maggie tells her that Jay's awake. She nudges her chin to Hailey, "You go in first."

"You sure?"

The best friend shrugs, "Jay's whiny when he's hurt, you go deal with it first."

Hailey laughs knowing Sienna is basically telling her to go admit her feelings to Jay. Antonio gives her a narrowed-eyed look, "You're meddling"

"I am not" She gasps

"I know you. You're meddling."

She chuckles, "He's depressed Tone. I'm worried about him and she's... she's in love with him. Maybe she can pull him out of this funk"

Antonio frowns, "What if she bolts like Erin did?"

"I don't think she will but if she does, then you and I will be there to pick up the pieces"

Hailey comes out a few seconds later with a small smile, "Jay wants to see you"

Antonio pulls Sienna up and leads her to Jay's room. When Hailey doesn't follow Sienna stops and gives her a frown, "Come on?"

Hailey shakes her head, "I'll see you tomorrow"

She leaves before Sienna can say something, Antonio gives her a look. "Stop meddling"

She wordlessly walks into the room and finds Jay in bed staring off into the distance.

"Hey chucklehead" She smiles leaning down to kiss his forehead. He greets them both but keeps quiet the entire time. Sienna is worried – something is going on with him. He's never this quiet.

"What's going on?"

Jay sighs, "Hailey told me she loved me. She wants me to trust her"

"Can you?"

Jay turns his head, "I can't. I can't trust anyone anymore except you"

"Oh Jay" Sienna leans down and kisses his forehead, stroking his gelled-up hair, "You can always lean on me."

"I know."