Prologue

icy blue

(Author's POV)

Ana woke up to screaming voices downstairs. The air was tense and heavy with emotion. She didn't have to be in the area to feel the raging storm as it made her stomach heavy with dread.

Her tired eyes opened into slits and she brushed away some of her hair that was slightly tousled from the recent slumber. The four year old made her way to the bedroom door and opened it up. Yellow light from the hallway flooded into the small crack that she allowed the door to be open.

"Where are you going this time?!" Her father yelled.

"Does it matter as long as I am nowhere near you!" Her mother screamed back.

The girl moved her tiny feet and began her descent down the stairs. The voices only grew louder and more harsher the lower she went. She flinched at the sound of someone being slapped. As she made it to the last step her dark eyes took in the sight before her.

There on the ground laid her father with a hand held to his burning cheek. Meanwhile her mother stood with her hand raised up and over her shoulder.

Why would mommy hurt daddy? She thought.

Tears stung the backs of her eyes as she watched her dad stare helplessly at the woman he called his wife.

"Why?" He asks, sniffling. Fighting to keep the tears at bay, but against his will they fall.

Unbeknownst to the man on the floor stands his little girl with tears also cascading down her face.

"I can't do this anymore...this isn't going to work." His wife says. Her blue eyes shifted from him to the diamond ring on her finger.

He shakes his head as more tears fall.

"P-please. Don't leave me- us what about Ana?" He cries.

She shifts her glance to the stairs where she finds the quiet girl, sadly watching her parents.

"What about her? I wanted a damn son! Not some fucking worthless daughter- she can't give me what I want and neither can you." The woman said, eyes narrowing on her husband, she believed to be pathetic.

The moment she gave birth to Ana was the day she swore to leave them. How could she make her dream a reality with a daughter? To her girls were weak and didn't know how to run a business. It was what her father always told her and she was raised to think just like that. She needed a son who can help her get to the top.

"Ana's only four-"

"Shut the fuck up." She spits, tossing the ring at the man on the floor. He flinches when the ring hits him in the arm and falls to the ground.

The blonde haired woman then turns on her heels and heads for the front door. Two sets of eyes watch her twist the handle and open it.

"Oh and thank you for the money...I'll spend it wisely." She smirked and slammed the door closed behind her.

That night nothing would be the same and even though Ana was a child, she knew that this was a new beginning: for not only her dad but also herself.

· ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ꕥ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ ·

{628 words}

a/n: a little side note...your name in this story IS NOT Ana! I included this mini story line, bc it's an essential part of my plot and you will see why later! :)

~ xoxo lola 🤍