6

a whole mood

When lunch finished, I had them work on some science worksheets until recess came around. I opened the back door to the classroom and told them to be safe and make smart decisions. Pausing in the doorway I looked down and noticed Anastasia standing right beside me.

"Do you not want to go out, Anastasia?" I asked softly, causing her dark eyes to flicker towards mine. She shook her head 'no' and took two steps back further into the room.

"I don't really like being around others..." She whispered, looking down at the ground.

She is a whole mood. I smiled and bent down to meet her eyes.

"Don't worry I like being alone too...Ana. Is it okay if I call you that?" I asked, patiently waiting for her to speak to me. She lifted her face with a small smile.

"My daddy calls me Ana." Her eyes lit up when she mentioned him and I smiled once more.

"I'll let you hang with me then. What do you like to do for fun?" I asked, checking my phone. A gasp left my mouth as an update notification from my favorite author popped up onto my phone. Too bad I'm at school right now.

"I like to read." She softly replies looking over at my phone.

"Really? Me too! I read on my phone all the time." I excitedly say walking over to the carpet to sit on it. Patting the spot in front of me she takes the sign and sits down, crossing her legs.

I unlock my phone and tap on the the story, it was a hybrid au and made of pure fluff. Perfect nothing would explicit would occur in it. I cleared my throat and began to read. Minutes before recess was scheduled to end I finished the chapter.

"Wow she found a bunny named Kookie that turned out to be a human?!" Ana covered her mouth with her tiny hands in amazement. I giggled at her cute facial expressions and nodded my head. So I can bond with her by using books.

"Yeah cool isn't it. I have a bunny too, but he's no human." I said turning off my phone.

"Aww you have a bunny? What's his name? Will you bring him to class one day? Please!" She begged putting her hands together.

"His name is Nochu and I might bring him if he's okay with it. I also have a puppy named Snickerdoodle and a kitten named Mau-mau."

Her eyes widened even more. "That's so cute! Daddy won't let me have a pet. He says they are too much maintenance for us. And that he's too busy to care for them." Her face fell and she put her chin on her tiny hands.

My heart fell for her. I remember being a child and wanting a pet but since my mom was allergic they were always out of the question.

"Ms. Luna? Oh Ana what are you doing here, sweetheart?" Jimin asked, walking into my classroom.

"Uncle Jimin! Ms. Luna has a bunny called Nochu and a puppy called Snickerdoodle and a-a kitten called Mau-mau!" She happily yelled running into his arms.

"That's wonderful princess." He said kissing her forehead.

"So you weren't lying when you said you were her uncle?" I let the thought slip out before I could think more on the matter.

"Yeah something like that, her dad is my best friend. Why would I lie to you about that?" He chuckled. The younger girl in his arms as she smiled over at me. I looked back to her and watched as she continued to hug him. It was so cute.

"Oh right. I came to tell you more about parent-teacher conferences. Since you just met these students carefully observe them till Friday so when the time comes if the parents have any questions about their kids, you'll have the answers." He said with a firm nod and put Ana back on the ground, patting her head.

"I got to go now sweetie okay? I'll be with you and your daddy at home later." He said waving to the little girl and then at me.

"Ms. Luna. Are you single?" Ana asked walking over to sit back down on the carpet.

I looked up from my nails to see her eyes already on me. "Er yeah I am...why?" I asked, raising a brow with curiosity. Should I be talking about this with a kindergartner?

"I think you'd really like my daddy." she bluntly spoke eyes full of pure happiness. I froze, oh dang she's trying to set me up here.

"Whoa whoa there." I laughed a little flustered. "I'm good. Being on my own Ana."

She frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. "Everyone wants to be with someone. We don't always like to be alone, sure you have pets but they can't speak to you like a person can."

My mouth fell open. "Are you really five years old?" I asked, scratching my head in wonder.

"Very funny Ms. Luna." She replied, narrowing her eyes at me. I raised my hands in defense with a little laugh.

"Just saying. You sound way too smart to be a kindergartner." I casually said, checking my phone once more.

"I'd like to think I take after my daddy, you know a smart man is what he is. He is also tall and very handsome. He also works with idols." She said trying to pique my interest. Only I didn't care how a person looked or what job they had; it would all go to waste if they acted like an asshole.

Nap time came quicker then expected as I closed the book and told my kids to gather their pillow and blankets. When all of them were settled down I shut off the light and turned on some calming music to help them sleep better.

I quietly read on my phone until my alarm went off. Only it didn't go off- it was Ana screaming once again. I rushed my way over to her and took her shaking form into my arms.

I didn't ask what she had dreamt about. It was obvious she wasn't going to tell me. So I just held her until she calmed down. Her tiny fists gripped my blouse as she bawled her eyes out. When she reduced the sobbing to soft sniffles I slowly pulled her away from me and asked two of my students to go and get Jimin.

🌼🌼🌼

I heard low voices coming from the office Jimin had taken Ana to, after she had her nightmare. There was two male voices I could make out as I made my way to the front doors of the building.

"You can't keep ignoring her."

"I'm not-"

"How often has she been having nightmares?"

"I-"

I closed the door behind me and headed straight for my car. What an exhausting day, at least I got Ana to talk to me.

· ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ꕥ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ ·

{1175 words}