Start a Fire

Yn POV

"Baby please be careful," my mom kisses my forehead. "Mama I'll be fine," I sigh. I grab my sign and lace my sneakers.

Today there was a protest in Chicago that I was going to. This month alone, I had seen over seven people die because of racism and police brutality.

It was difficult to say the least. My mental health wasn't in a good place and I didn't feel safe. But I knew I had to. I had too much to say and I didn't want to hold it in.

I was going alone which wasn't too good of an idea. But a lot of my friends were scared or had went to previous ones already.

You could see the crowds of people walking the streets.

"Back up back up, we want our freedom. All these racist cops, we don't need em?" I hear the crowd chanting and I join them.

I could see police lined up everywhere. One of them waved at the crowd. An officer next to him looked at him and glared.

His eyes were piercing.

I don't think anyone has ever liked police, despite what blue lives matter has to say. Nobody ever runs towards police...even when they haven't done anything. I was always weary of police officers. My ex boyfriend's dad was a police officer. He was nice. He also kept my ex out of prison for drugs and assault while simultaneously brutalizing others for the same exact thing.

My ex got into an argument with me because I posted black lives matter. He said I was invalidating his feelings because his dad meant a lot to him.

That's why he's my ex boyfriend though.

I graduated from Waubonsie Valley High School. I lived in West Chicago though. It's difficult living between these two lifestyles. But it teaches you a lot.

And when it comes down to events like this, it's nice to have my friends from West Chicago. Cause none of my friends from Waubonsie cared.

I go to the University of Chicago now. I'm a sophomore. Things were going well, until Covid-19 Anyways.

And now I'm here protesting amongst everybody. A lot of people were here. I saw people in front of me and behind me. We had marched for a long time, I lost track but the sky started to slowly darken and police looked more ready than ever.

"I'm starting to think we should end protests at 6 if it wasn't for the people who get out of work," a boy says.

He was very attractive, and was wearing a black shirt with some jeans and sneakers.

"Drake," he smiles.

"Yn," I smile back. "And I agree cause now is when they're gonna really do their worst."

"Just stay away from the outskirts of the protest Incase they start you know," he motions a gun shooting off.

I move a bit closer to him. I was about 5'1 so everyone was towering over me anyways.

"You come alone?"

"Yeah."

"So have I. We can stick together if you'd like. Just in case."

I nod. I shouldn't be agreeing to stick with strangers but we all came here for the right reasons, right?

Before I can say anything, I hear a pop sound.

"What was that?"

"They're shooting rubber bullets," someone screams. I see a girl who's face is bleeding and I see what's suppose to be a rubber bullet.