yours sincerely, Wasting Away

"send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view. indicate precisely what you mean to say. yours sincerely, wasting away."

.azumane.

i had made it through the day, but it was awful and awkward. and it seemed like that argument last night had made me even more emotionally vulnerable, because i was getting sad again and thinking back on my relationship with noya.

~~~

it was summer break in the middle of third year. noya and i had been together for a little over a month now, and we had gone out for ice cream in the park.

we were walking down a paved pathway, and i laughed as noya got mint chocolate chip ice cream on his nose as he shoved his cone in his face.

"let me get that for you," i said, wiping his face with a napkin.

"that's so cute! is he your son?" a lady nearby asked.

i snorted and felt noya tense beside me.

"hey! what the f-"

i placed a hand on his shoulder before he could cuss out someone asking an innocent question.

"actually, no. he's not even two years younger than me, this is my boyfriend."

her eyes went wide and she started blushing.

"oh my gosh, i'm so sorry! i shouldn't have been so quick to judge based on appearances."

"it's alright, i get mistaken for an adult a lot." i looked down at noya. "and i can see how you could mistake him for a child."

"what's that supposed to mean?!" he asked.

i laughed.

"only joking."

"hmph."

i turned back to the woman and she spoke again.

"i'm so sorry for interrupting your day, i'll be going now."

"it's alright, i don't mind that much. goodbye then."

"goodbye."

and with a small wave, she walked away.

as soon as she was out of earshot, noya burst out all his bottled up thoughts.

"what was up with that, huh?! i'm not a child! i'm not that small! what the heck?!"

"noya, honey, you are that small. but it's fine, i like that about you. also, you just used 'heck' when you would normally use a more vulgar word, so maybe you are subconsciously reverting to a mindset of a child."

"i- you- wha- i thought you were on my side?! and if you want me to cuss, then what the fuck is up with that?!"

"it's okay, you don't have to get so worked up. look, your ice cream is about to melt."

he turned back to his ice cream and frantically chomped down on it.

i cringed. i had never been able to bite ice cream, my teeth were too sensitive. that's why i always got ice cream in a bowl and used a spoon.

speaking of, i had finished my last bite, so i had to throw away my empty bowl and spoon.

"i'm gonna go throw this away, i'll be right back, okay?" i told noya, pointing at a nearby trash can.