this is Merely the Beginning

a/n: last chapter, how we feeling?

.azumane.

i was in the back room of my shop with a coworker, getting ready to close up, and i heard the bell up front, indicating that someone had just walked in.

"scusi!" a loud voice said. "do you know where i can find azumane-san?"

he must've been talking to matteo in the front room.

it was strange to hear the sudden japanese honorific in the middle of an italian sentence, but it must've been habit.

"your fiancé?" my coworker, andrea laughed.

i smiled.

"yeah, he can be loud sometimes."

"that's alright, i think we all are sometimes. i can't really imagine you being too loud though."

"yeah, sometimes i-"

i was cut off by a loud, "ASAHIIIIII!!!" then the door to the back room also burst open, and yuu ran in.

i apologized to andrea, who nodded and started clocking out, then turned back to yuu.

"hey, yuu, close up early today?"

"yep! you guys making anything new here?"

"always are, fashion is an ever-changing industry."

"gelato too! i mean... i guess you kind of have to stick to the staples, but it's fun to experiment making new flavors!"

"i bet," i replied, then turned to andrea who was heading out the door. "see you tuesday."

"yep, see you then!"

then she left and i turned back to yuu, switching back to japanese.

"ready to go?"

"doesn't that guy up front have to leave first?"

"matteo? i mean technically since i'm the boss, yes, i should be the last to leave, but it doesn't really matter. he knows how to lock up. besides, he's probably left already."

"already?! i haven't been here for that long!"

"he probably made a beeline for the door as soon as you came in here," i chuckled.

"dang, that's kind of mean."

"it's nothing personal, he probably just wanted to escape before he had to work any extra hours."

"why would he have to work extra hours? we're leaving now, and i'm not a customer or anything."

"i'm not sure if he knows that, and usually when people come in asking to see me, they want a consultation, which can take a long time with measuring, picking out fabrics, starting sketches, and all that."

"i guess you're right... anyway, let's get out of here! it's a holiday weekend, baby!"

i laughed.

"yeah, it's a holiday weekend."

"don't sound so enthusiastic," he muttered, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the front room. "hope you were done back there."

"yeah, but i still have to lock up before we leave, so don't get too overenthusiastic."

"what is that supposed to mean?"

we exited, and i closed and locked the door behind me.

"oh, you know. i know you very well, and i know that you are very easily excitable, which isn't a bad thing!" i kissed his forehead. "now let's get out of here."