Rini-Carcrash 🥺

Warning: Mention of car crash, parents arguing, lots of sadness

Author's note: This takes place when Ricky and Nini are kids. It's a a sad imagine but I have writer's block.

Ricky was 11 years old at the time and his best friend Nina Salazar-Roberts was 10 at the time. His parents had just started arguing, but they were small arguments that meant nothing to him. That specific Saturday afternoon, Ricky and Nini had their usual playdate at the park when Mama C got the call. Someone from Utah State Hospital had called her in regards of Mike Bowen, Ricky's father.

"Ricky sweetie come here please." Mama C said in a hushed, sad tone.

Ricky ran from the slide he was on with his best friend he called, Nini instead of Nina and followed Mama C to a corner bench.

"Ricky, I have some bad news to tell you. I'm going to have to take you somewhere. Nini can come to."

"Mama C what's wrong?" Nini came over smiling.

"I guess now that your both here I have to tell you..." Mama C said wiping a tear.

"Mama C what is it?" Nini hugged her mom.

"Ricky's dad has been admitted into the ICU. He was in a car crash. I'm sorry Ricky. I can drive you to the hospital, but children aren't allowed in the room." Mama C said hugging a now sobbing Ricky.

Before the three of them could get to Mama C's car Ricky ran as fast as he could to his and Nini's favorite spot at the park. The thought of not being able to see his father scared him and made him upset. Nini's family didn't know that the arguments at his house between his parents had gotten worse and he didn't want to bother her perfect family. Ricky hid behind the tall oak tree that Ricky and Nini carved their names into when they were last at the park, he sat there crying and wishing his parents still got along.

"Mama C can I go look for Ricky? I think I know where he is." Nini looked down saddened that his best friend had just heard the worst news he possibly could.

"Of course. I'll be in the car waiting." Mama C said kissing her young daughter's forehead.

Nini ran as fast as she could to her and Ricky's special spot in the park. She wasn't as athletic or as fast as Ricky, but she managed to find Ricky with his head in his hands behind their special tree. She had never seen Ricky cry before except when they were in pre-school, and she didn't know what to do, so she sat beside him and hugged him.

"It's going to be okay. Ricky your dad is strong he will get through this." Nini said rubbing his back like her Mama used to do for her when she was upset.

"It's not going to be okay Nini. My parents argue all the time. I don't have a perfect family like You." Ricky said wiping some of his tears with his hoodie.

This was the first time that Nini had heard about Ricky's parents from him. She didn't know what to say to him, so she said what here mama always told her.

"I'm always going to be here for you Ricky. You can tell me anything. We're best friends after all." She said getting closer to him and hugging him more.

"Thanks, Nini. You're the best." Ricky said getting up from the grass and extending his hand out for her.

The two friends walked to Mama C's car in silence. The whole ride to the hospital was silent too but Nini kept glancing at Ricky, who was bouncing his leg up and down nervously and holding onto Nini's hand. Mama C noticed this but didn't say anything as she drove to the hospital.

When they got to the ICU waiting room Ricky saw his Mom walk out of the main doors with tears in her eyes. He ran to hug her.

"Mom, is dad going to be okay?" Ricky said hugging his mom tightly.

"He's stable for now. I'm sorry you can't see him you have to be 12 or older to go in. He has a lot of tubes in too. It's scary." His mom said rubbing his back.

"I want to see my dad!" Ricky suddenly screamed in the waiting room where tons of other families were waiting too.

"Ricky please honey be quiet. I'm sorry it's the law you can't go in." His mom held him tight as he fought and cried near the front doors. His mom rubbed his back as he kept fighting her.

"Why don't I give you a break Lynn, and take the kids to the gift shop to get something for Mike?" Mama C said comforting her and helping Ricky ungrasp from his mother's shoulder.

"Thank you. I need to get some food or coffee anyway." Lynn said to Mama C quietly.

Mama C took Ricky's hand and hugged him then gave him some tissues to wipe his tears with. Nini was sitting in one of the uncomfortable waiting room chairs staring at the ugly white waiting room walls. She didn't know what to do. Nini's family was like a Ricky's second family. He greatly accepted Mama C's offer to go to the gift shop and held on tight to Nini's hand the whole way there.

When they got to the gift shop, Ricky had picked out a small get-well teddy bear that had a plaid shirt like his father had and Nini had chosen some flowers for his room and a card. Needless to say, Nini was better at gift choosing then Ricky. Nini couldn't help but see the sad and glum expression on Ricky's face as he was walking around the gift shop.

On the way back to the waiting room, Mama C had to take a work call and told the two kids to choose something from the cafeteria to eat while she walked to the side. She trusted Nini to stay safe for a few minutes with Ricky.

"Ricky, I want you to have this. Your my best friend you deserve to be happy." Nini said while holding out a small teddy bear that had the words "Best Friends" written across his chest.

"I have the same one except mine is light brown. I got it when my mom was sick in the hospital. She's my best friend too so I gave one to her when she was here. I hope you like it." Nini smiled.

"I really like it. Thank you Nini." Ricky said to her while hugging her and then he did something unexpected. He kissed her cheek while Mama C was at a checkout station.

The two kids and Mama C walked back to the waiting room in silence. Ricky was still bummed that he couldn't see his father and eventually wore himself out. He fell asleep on Nini's shoulder and Mama C took a picture of them together, not wanting to disrupt them.