G.J Sickfic - You didn't do anything wrong. Part 1 🤕

Author's Note: I've had major writer's block. This idea just popped up into my head. There may or may not be a part 2. I honestly didn't even know how to end it. I guess comment if you want a part 2.

E.J's POV:

"Go Leopards!

"Come on E.J!

"Go for the gold!"

"You got this babe!

I heard all of my friends and my girlfriend Gina yell from the stands by the pool. I was getting ready to win the East High-Water Polo Championship. My shoulder kept hurting but I just ignored it. I dived into the pool and got ready to take my defense position when my left arm got all stiff and stopped moving. I couldn't move it because it was being lazy, so I improvised and used my other arm pretending to be okay.

After a winning game, there was always an after party at one of the teammates house's, well only if our team won, which we did. I decided that partying was better than worrying about my arm and shoulder pain, so I ignored it. One of my team mates drove some of the team mates to my house since he knew that coach wanted me to rest after the big game, so he offered to drive.

When we arrived, the lights were off, and it was really quiet. When I turned the lights on all my friends and teammates were in my living room holding signs and cheering for the rest of the team that had arrived at the party. I saw Gina standing upfront looking proud and happy.

"Congrats Man." Ricky said patting my shoulder that hurt still.

"Thanks Ricky!" I smiled in pain and walked to a table near Gina and her friends.

Before I got to the drink table near Gina, I ran into my teammate Ash.

"Hey man, we're going to play beer pong with all the guys over 18 on the team want to come?"

"Thanks for the offer, I'm going to go look for my girlfriend first."

"Oooh. Okay."

I realized that my arm didn't feel as stiff anymore, but my shoulder kept hurting when I moved it, but I wanted to see Gina first. I walked over to the table where she was talking to her friends and tapped her shoulder.

"Hey babe. Congrats on the big win." Gina said.

"Thanks, it was all Ash, he scored the big win." I said wrapping my arms around her waist, which hurt my shoulder again.

Gina decided to make out with me right there and then in front of the whole party. I didn't mind kissing my girl, but when she put her arms around my shoulders to kiss me, my shoulder pain got worse as I broke away the kiss.

"Did I do something wrong?" I heard her whisper to make it sound private.

I regained my strength and balance before kissing her again moving into our empty kitchen.

"Everything's fine babe."

"E.J what's wrong? Did I do something wrong? Was it at the game? Look at me babe. You just rejected my kiss in front of the whole party. Please tell me if I did something wrong?" Gina said in distraught and sadness inches away from me.

"Babe no, it's not you. You're perfect. You didn't do anything I promise." I said kissing her cheek.

"E.J what's wrong? Why did you reject my kiss?"

"E.J just tell me if you want to break up with me, it's ok, I knew it wouldn't last and you'd move on." Gina whispered with tears in her eyes making sure no one was around,

"No. No. No. I don't want to break up with you, Gina Mona Ray Porter. I love you. It's not you ok. Trust me."

"Then what is wrong? Please tell me E.J."

"My Shoulder has been hurting for a few days and I think I injured it at the last game. Today, it froze up at the game and I ignored it, but it hurts whenever anyone touches it. Ricky touched my shoulder and it hurt. You can't even kiss me and wrap your arms around my shoulders because it hurts. I have to play in the championships next weekend. Gins, you can't tell anyone. Please." I looked at Gina with my deep blue eyes.

"E.J your hurt. You need help. Please tell the coach. I'll go with you to the doctors."

"I can't. He won't let me play if I'm injured." I said looking down at the tile.

"Hey E.J, hey Gina. Awesome party. Umm Where's the restroom?" Someone said walking in accidentally.

"Down the hall on the first left." I said harshly getting upset.

"Let's go upstairs babe." Gina whispered to me.

"Ok. Only because I want alone time with you." I kissed her lips.

When we got to my bedroom, Gina sat on my bed looking at my shoulder.

"E.J we need to get you checked by a doctor. I'll go with you tomorrow since it's the weekend."

"Promise you won't tell anyone yet?"

"Promise."

I managed to get an emergency appointment with my doctor who handles all my sports injuries as soon as possible. I was bouncing my leg up and down in the waiting room, waiting for Gina to be dropped off, when she walked in and sat next to me holding my hand.

"It's going to be okay E.J. I don't like the doctor's either." She said trying to get me to relax.

"Ethan James Caswell." A nurse called.

I stood up and walked up to the nurse.

"Do you want me to come back babe?"

"I'm sorry. You can't unless your related to the patient." The nurse said.

"I'll be waiting out here." Gina kissed my cheek before I walked with the nurse to get x-rays.

When the x-rays were over. I was told to take my shirt off and put a gown on. I had trouble taking off my shirt and had to ask a nurse for help. My shoulder hurt more than it did yesterday, something was wrong, but I didn't want to admit it.

"Hi E.J, long time no see. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine."

After checking my shoulder and doing a few basic procedures Dr. Morris, got back in his seat and took out some papers.

"Well let's take a look at your x-rays. It looks like you have something called 'Swimmer's Shoulder' it's very common in water polo athletes."

"What can I do about it? Can I compete still? I have a game next week." I said rapidly.

"I'm sorry but you can't play water polo for a while. You're going to need surgery, but first I'll give you a pain medication. After the surgery you will need physical therapy for a while and then we can determine when you can go back. You see your shoulder has been torn for a while. The pain is just getting to you now."

I was silent. Besides theatre, water polo was my life. It was something that I was always good at. I couldn't live without it. Tears were forming in my eyes, but I wiped them away quickly. I wasn't that vulnerable.

"Since your 18 now. You get to make the decision and make the appointment. I'll let you get changed while I get your prescription."

My mind was blanked out though. This time my arm worked and allowed me to take the gown off and change into my shirt. As I walked to check out to get my prescription and the papers, Gina looked at me with a thumbs up and down.

I put my thumb down and frowned at her while filling out some paperwork for the surgery appointment. Gina came over to hug me knowing that I didn't want to talk about it and cuddled into my chest.

I rode with Gina and Ashlyn who was her ride in complete silence. I hid the papers and prescription in my coat pocket while just holding Gina's hand limply. I was scared for myself and my team.

"It's going to be okay E.J." Gina whispered hugging me in the back of Ashlyn's car.